• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fall Turkey Hunting - Anyone get drawn?

HateHumminbird

Last night saw two groups of hens with their ever-growing poults in a hay field. Little buggers are a bit bigger than chickens now. They've got a bit of growing to do here before the snow flies.

Anyone get drawn in MN or WI?

Joel

My son and I each got drawn for the first season in MN. Can't wait! The birds are everywhere. Looks like a great hatch this spring. I've been seeing really good numbers of young birds, but I'm somewhat suprised by the variation in sizes. I've seen some that are the size of chickens like you mentioned, but many are MUCH larger.

Yes - but also was drawn for chickens on dates that overlap.

Fall turkey can not compare to spring

Dakotas is a better place for fall turkey. Spot and stalk techniques and "bigger" land are nice.

Grey:

Funny you mention that, think we're from the same general area, and I've been seeing the same thing. End of July I saw a group of poults near the trail, no bigger than a softball! Extremely late hatch there, compared to some of the sizes you've been seeing esp.

Joel

Just a guess, but I was thinking maybe the high number of predators caused nests/eggs to be destroyed forcing 2nd or 3rd nestings? Just a thought.

Whatever the cause, the hens were persistent because the numbers sure look good.

This will be my first fall turkey hunt, second season of zone 339. Is it pretty much just setting up on travel routes and feeding areas or do they respond at all to calling? I see Joel will be doing a seminar planning on attending. I plan on using my bow, anyone else?

Roger

As I'm sure most here will attest, it's a completely different beast than the spring hunt. My first fall season about 10 years ago was a frustrating experience. I had a handful of spring birds under my belt, and I felt pretty good about my odds. I walked away from that experience with no-turkey, and a healthier respect for a 20lb bird with a brain the size of a walnut.

Calling can work if done sparingly, or during the right conditions, but most birds will ignore it during the fall. Fall is a time to hone your woodsmanship, as most of the birds you'll run into will be in larger groups. It's a leveling of the playing field vs. some of the hotshot callers that can make a love-sick gobbler come running a mile in early spring.

Going after them with a bow is a good option in MN if you also posess a deer archery license. Kind of a combo hunt that can be enjoyable. Stand-hunting for turkeys in the fall can actually be worthwhile from my experience. Sounds unorthodox, and while there are "cons", this is the only time of year I'd be hunting them from a stand.

I'll go over this and lots more at the seminar, hope to see you there!

Joel

I was lucky enough to get drawn for the second season,now I can scout deer right before the opener for several days so if the fall hunt for turkey is a bummer the week in the woods will be worth it.Out of the last two draws I got skunked during the fall hunt due to lack of interest in the 6lb or so birds I ran into every season.

At least one batch of WI fall turkey permits arrived in mailboxes last Fri. And low and behold I sighted a lone longbeard being a retard along a stretch of fence Sat morning!! He better relocate to a different part of Eau Claire Co or be prepared to 'retire' in my freezer grin.gif

BTW - JN, how much rope did it take to tie that Merriams to that pine tree in your avatar? grin.gif Sorry, I had to do it! ooo.gif

I got drawn along with my brother and brother-in-law. We'll be chasing the birds the first season. Kind of excited because I've been seeing a lot of birds this summer and I'm hoping to catch up with one of those longbeards that stayed just out of range this spring. Successful or not, though, it still beats working!!

Headed West to Wyoming first. Gonna practice up on antelope, prairie dogs, and Merriams!!

Cooter:

It was only a jake, no limbhanger, but believe it or not for that pic I wedged it into the crotch of two branches. The wind came up for a few pics, so I had some action shots in or two of the frames. That was cured by a bungee cord......no rope! Looks like someone needs to attend the fall turkey seminar. smile.gif

Joel

• 3 weeks later...

good morning,

anyone know what area Rapids lake unit falls under is it 337 or 338?

2nd question? if you didnt apply for the turkey drawing at all but the area you want to hunt has extra licenses can one just go to the counter and pick one up?

i see 337b and 338b have some left overs thats why the questions above?

any one hunted rapids lake for turkey? any info? suggestion?