• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I know it's early, and hopefully we won't have to do this for quite awhile. That being said, I have a few questions...

We purchased our 40 foot dock with an "L" and bench a few years ago from Wright docks and have had them pull up and down the last few years with the exception of my builder pulling it up last year. They have indicated they will start pulling up island docks the first week of October which is a bit early for us. We have an "dead man" anchor on a large rock to help facilitate this process and we also have a "Y" cable (with hooks on all ends) and then a straight single line cable with hooks on each end. I plan to try to bring up the dock with a friend's help this year. What size/weight "come along" should I purchase and I was wondering if anyone knows anywhere to get instructions? I have had a challenge receiving instructions from others. After removing the bench, boards, and ladder of the "L", can I (two of us) simply manually pull up and over the "L"? After removing all the boards on the main dock, it appears the "Y" cable connects directly to the dock and possibly to the anchor. I am looking at this correctly? Anyway, any instruction would be helpful. Also, I am wondering what the single straight cable is for?Does one end of this connect to the "come along" and the end of the "Y" to the other come along end? If so, what do I connect the other end of the straight cable to?

Sorry for the long message and I would sincerely appreciate any websites to go for instruction, or any insight.

Thanks in advance.

Andy

We have a 4 ton come-a-long (coffin hoist) to pull ours.

The heavier-duty hoist the better, in terms of safety and longevity of the hoist. We have used ours since 1983.

We use a smaller come-along to lift the L. We have a 4' long 4x4 post the is positioned on the dock (not the L) near the L pivot "hinge" with eye bolts on each side. On the L side there is a cable that hooks to the end of the L (which gets lifted). The other eye is hooked to the side of the dock opposite the L with the comealong. By pulling the comealong in, the 4x4 post acts as a lever and lifts the L nearly vertical. At this point, a helper holds it vertical and comealong is removed. Then it is gently lowered on the dock end. We have never lifted it out by hand, very heavy.

Not sure what you mean by the Y cable. If it is what I think, let me explain.

One end probably goes to the dock or A-frame at the shore (depending on your set-up). The other end hooks to the comealong and you pull on it until the hook on the Y can be attached to the permanent fixture point (yours sounds like its in a rock... ours is a cable around a giant Norway pine). Once the Y is hooked, you can release the comealong and the fixture point takes the load.

The single cable probably goes from the A frame to the dock.

I would recommend taking most if not all the dock sections off. One year we did not and came out in winter to find the dock on the ice due to the snow load.

Hey LundExplorer...will we be pulling yours up on our weekend up there? I figured I'd find a post from you on this one since you have the system perfected.