Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jbell1981

Patching holes in fish house fabric

8 posts in this topic

I recently got a clam 5600 (thanks big musk411), but there are a few small holes in it. The biggest is probably about 2-3" round. Is there a good way of patching these or is good old fashioned duct tape the way to go?

Thanks.

I've used the iron on patches for clothes and they held up great. I would iron one onto each side of the hole and it has held up just fine. It is a 2 person job with one person holding a board on the back side and the other person with the iron. The cost is right also.

Wouldn't the heat from the iron melt the fabric used on a Clam? I have an old Clam and last year the wind blew me up against the corner of a trailer I pull behind the ATV and ripped a huge tear in the fabric. I picked up some fabric adhesive called Tear Mender and using an old pair of denim jeans made a patch about 2" wide as long as the tear and glued it to the fabric. So far it has held up very well. I used the same technique on my boat cover, which also is old and getting worn (is our equipment a reflection of ourselves? tongue.gif) and it has held up even on the highway.

Bob

The iron on patches are the way to go. Get em at a fabric store for cheap.Worked for me!

I can't remember the brand names, but I just bought some canvas type fabric, used an adhesive and presto, most of the problems were fixed. I say most because for 2 years straight, my dad had mice in his garage and they had a fiesta on the canvas. mad.gif So, I patched up the larger holes (some 8" - 10" in dia.) and left the smaller ones (1" dia or less) alone.

I have used the Iron on patches and they will not damage Clam fabric. I had a Clam Junior and a Clam 5600 that both had repairs made to them. It is inevitable that I always burn a hole in a cover in the first year! I waited until my second year to burn a hole in my Yukon.

I'd go with the TearMender...as easy as glueing two pieces of paper together.

Wow, and I've been putting a couple new strips of duct tape on every fall... smile.gif