• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Mississippi River- Re: Special Smallmouth Regs

oldguide

For all you brown fish anglers! I'm trying to get a petition going to extend the Special Regs up to the Brainerd, MN dam. I have it all typed up and ready to go but need signatures. If anyone or their club is interested in signing on e-mail me at [email protected] and I will make arrangements to meet with you. We need to protect the BIG Smallmouth and this may be the way to do it.

Thanks.

I'm in....I don't have the details, but...it might be easier to set up a on line petition.

I wont sign it.

I fish the tourney in Sartell every year, and with this reg, that tourney goes away. I absolutely love fishing in that.

And for anyone in clubs or leagues that bring fish in to weigh or measure, they too would be done.

You may think thats selfish sounding, but is it in need of help today? Is it that bad, that drastic changes are needed?

In my honest opinion, the fishing is outstanding the way it is today in the stretch that doesnt contain special regs.

Vast majority of people are not keeping smallmouth anyway. The few that do, are only fishing small sections of the river in most cases. There are many miles of river with very little pressure.

Can the reg hurt? Absolutely not. I do agree there. But I don't think its needed.

Quote:

I wont sign it.

I fish the tourney in Sartell every year, and with this reg, that tourney goes away. I absolutely love fishing in that.

And for anyone in clubs or leagues that bring fish in to weigh or measure, they too would be done.

You may think thats selfish sounding, but is it in need of help today? Is it that bad, that drastic changes are needed?

In my honest opinion, the fishing is outstanding the way it is today in the stretch that doesnt contain special regs.

Vast majority of people are not keeping smallmouth anyway. The few that do, are only fishing small sections of the river in most cases. There are many miles of river with very little pressure.

Can the reg hurt? Absolutely not. I do agree there. But I don't think its needed.

Didn't think 'bout the tourney aspect. I wonder if we can get a waiver for the tournie?

Same reason the reg stops at the Crow River. Because of the Anoka tourney.....

Something about waivers don't fly. I think someone in the know will speak up soon on this one. cool.gif

Quote:

Same reason the reg stops at the Crow River. Because of the Anoka tourney.....

Something about waivers don't fly. I think someone in the know will speak up soon on this one.
cool.gif

Actually the organization in Anoka was offered an arrangement to have the tourney through 2009. The DNR just wanted access to the data, but that apparently did not come across in their meetings... confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

As far as a reg up above ST Cloud Dam: The biggest benefit we have seen in the current regulated area is an increase in density due to an increase in spawning stock. Basically we have more fish and less variable recruitment of young smallmouth. However, the river does change considerably above Sartell. It is not the same beast as in St. Cloud to Anoka. Habitat is far different, Flow regime is different, the muskies are more prevelant and channel catfish are not nearly as abumdant. Just factors to consider. Personally, I would think the reg could have the potential to improve spawning stock somewhat, but the area near Brainerd only has substantial year classes one out of every five years or so!!! So the benefits may be a long way off. There are never easy solutions. Just my .02

BTW KT there have been similar cases where temprary "exemptions" were allowed but I have not heard of them very often....

Hope this helps... grin.gif

I guess I'd like to hear what the real benefits (or negatives) of this proposal might be. No offense but I don't think a tournament is a reason to negate a possible gain for smallmouths. I'd also hope that the DNR could figure out a tournament if it's not going to be too harmful to the smally population. I get bummed thinking about people killing smallmouth, but my guess is it doesn't happen too often

I fish out there. I would be all for the slot, let the tournaments carry on with the six fish limits. I fish live bait blush.gif, but never keep smallies. I don't think that alot of other people do either. The thing about it is that certin people who fish out there, I think don't understand the regs [language barrier]. That being said, I still dont think that it has much an affect on the river as a whole. Most people with skill to catch the big smallies [myself not included] would release them anyway.

Should be about that time that the Walleyes start biting wink.gif

FM

I understand your concerns about the tournaments. I fished them for years but knowing what I do now I'm sorry for doing so. Let me explain. NO ONE puts small fish in a livewell!!!!! The fish that suffer most from delayed mortality are the BIG Fish!!!!! Case in point. The Sartell to Blanchard stretch of river used to contain numerous 18" - 20" fish. Look back at the weights of the tourney and you will see that very few were brought in by some of the best smallmouth anglers in the state. I don't even fish that area anymore. Yes tournaments are fun but bag weigh-ins are death to a wonderful resourse. The only other way to have the tourney would be by having a "draw partner paper tournament". This way the fish would be put back immediately. The smallmouth is alive in well in the Mississippi but we need to protect the BIG FISH. Thank you all for responding.

• 2 weeks later...