Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hookmaster

Help with running a motor that's sat for 4 years

11 posts in this topic

I have a 1985 25hp Johnson motor that hasn't been run in 4 years. It was winterized before this long hiatus. I plan to use it this fall. What are the steps to best ensure that I can get it running? I have never decarbonized this motor, is this something I should include in the process?

At the time that outboard was made the recommend oil/gas ratio was 100:1. Thats been revised to 50:1.

Heres what I'd do if it were mine. Change the impeller, new spark plugs and drain and replace the gear oil.

After running it you may find out she runs like a top and all you need to do is the normal maintenance. Or you might find out the carb is dirty and it'll need to be cleaned and the lower unit is leaking oil or water into the oil.

I'd spray some oil into the cylinders to ensure you have lubrication and compression.

Wait to do the decarb and new plugs until motor is running good. It will be one less concern if motor gives you any grief on start up. I would run the first couple gallons of gas 24 to 1 like a new motor break in then go to 50 to 1. When you do the decarb Seafoam Deep Creep in a spray can is awsome stuff. After you decarb then put on new plugs.

I got it running on the muffs yesterday. I flooded it which usually doesn't happen. I almost gave up but after about 25 pulls (I got my workout in), she fired up and ran great. I'll get it on the lake some night this week. Anybody have a recipe for decarbonizing or shouldn't I even do it if it is running well?

If it run's well I would leave it alone. Sometimes messing around will get yourself in more trouble. Unless you know there is a problem.

Run it a couple of outings to verify it is running good. Buy a can of seafoam deep creep and warm the motor up. With cowling off slowly keep spraying the deep creep in till motor starts to stall and quit spraying till rpms come up. Keep doin g this till about 1/4 can is sprayed in. Then take the plugs out and nuke them with deep creep and put the plugs back in. Wait over night or a couple of hours then run the motor hard till it quits smoking. Plan on replacing plugs afterwards.

I ran it last night. It was like it was never in storage. I'll change the lower unit lube and put in new plugs and away I go.

The older Johnsons were a pretty dependable motor. Seems like you could abuse them much more than the newer motors. My dad had a 9.5 HP Johnson that hadn't been started for about 6 years till this spring. Dad told me I bet it will start in 2 pulls. I said no way I will have to do a carb job and all kinds of stuff to it but I decided to try starting it first. It fired off on 3 pulls. Idled a little rough so I added some OMC engine tune and new plugs and it runs a good as it ever did. I had to call dad and say you know you were way off it took 3 pulls not 2 grin.gif.

congrats you are lucky.

I'd still run a can of sea-foam through the first tank of gas to help clean it up a bit and you better just watch it so no gunk gets loose and bogs it down for a while...

Seafoam's already in it!

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• ANYFISH2
      7/19 Day 5   Day 5 was spent celebrating my Isaacs 11th birthday!  Lots of cake and catering to him.  The exciting typical swimmimg and paddling ruled the day.  Grandma and grandpa DeZurik came up to celebrate his birthday as well.  Always nice to get both sets of grandparents together at the same time.   Fishing continued slow even more.  Still a successful night though. The birthday boy conceded his seat in the boat so grandma and grandpa cpuld join me for the evening fish trip.  My folks in all truth haven't been fishing for 2 years or more.  It was just nice to get them in the boat.   I struggled as the acting to put them on a consistent bite.  Mom as able to scratch out the biggest walleye at 17".  Dad brought home the honors of most fish caught landing a 14" and 15" walleye, 8.5" bluegill, and 2 perch as big aa his leech! I mustered up 1 small pumpkinseed.
    • ANYFISH2
      no doubt aboit the hooks, they are lottle stickers.
    • DLD24
      I like drifting with them and snap jigging them with a controlled fall...Almost every time you'll feel that tick just as it's hitting bottom... Last time I was on mille lacs that's all I could get them to go on. As far as colors I'd just match the forage Tullies in the lake use blue,purples,silvers....Perch use perch colors.. I think the jiggin rap is my new favorite way to fish, but it gets scary with them little hooks when you got a big eye on lol.
    • DLD24
      Fished Big Sandy from 8-2 today and got 10 eyes (no keepers) keeper crappie and perch.... Marked tons of fish, but it was tough to get them to go, Lindy rig with a half crawler was the best by far. I tried leeches,jigging rap, jig n plastic. Points and reefs were the spots, later in the day a lot of fish were off the edges of the reefs... Just one day this year I'd like a happy medium weather wise, either I'm in 4ft rollers or 90 degrees with zero wind haha.
    • Garmandu
      According to Al Linder you can do it all with them...on his video that I watched a while back he was in deeper water throwing into 15 feet and working it back to the boat.  I have not tried it yet but will have to sometime this year.  Sand or gravel bottom would be the best.
    • ANYFISH2
      Just started playing with these this week as a friend has been have goos luck all summer with them on the Cass lake chain. I have not any success yet but not real sure on the best way to use them with my set this week.  My friend searches pods of fish out with electronics then spot locks and vertical jigs. I have no electronics or spot lock so I have been control drifting and jigging.   My questions...   Is there a depth they work better in, shallow vs. deeper?   Better vertically jigged vs trolled vs casted and jigged?   prime colors? of course my be lake dependent.   typically, aggressive jigging vs subtle jigging?   Thanks for tips
    • Perchy
      Yes, insured. I will ask the adjuster, thanks.
    • Captain Acorn
      Thanks cliff and lb I have actually had better luck with the puppet minnows from northland but I have mainly jigged them vertically definently is a fun way to fish 
    • LBerquist
      I've been trolling at about .5mph while using a jigging rap. This way one guy can still drag a lindy. I keep the front hook intact but my boat has contributed about half a dozen to the lake so far this summer. Im still working on getting the hang of it. If I know I'm in a rough area I will attempt to keep the jig from hitting bottom which still seems to be effective. I did pick up a couple off brands that don't have a front hook that I want to try. This is just what I have been toying around with, I'm definitely not an expert at it.
    • fisherjmb
      Hi Everyone, a couple of questions, I know there is free public boat ramp in Stillwater just above the lift bridge. Is there another public boat ramp further down river? I thought I read somewhere that Beanies is or was becoming a free public boat launch. Is that the case? Also, I am thinking of heading there on Monday to try my luck. Any tactics/depths/areas that have been producing for anyone?