Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scotteye

October 9th-12th..

4 posts in this topic

Hello All- Due to the advise from so many of you, I switched a Rainy River trip from Sept. to October 9th. I'm going up with the family (wife, father/mother-in-law), and I'm looking for any advise. From reading this post, I have gathered that 1/2 oz. jigs are the way to go *gold. Any other suggestions (depth, tactics, locations)? We are staying at Borderview Lodge and I am excited for the wife to see our "winter stomping grounds". If I have the LOW map chip, will that work on the river? Should I plan running down river several miles, or is near Border View good? Any help would be great (and worth a few rounds of beer if you make it to Borderview).

Hi Scotteye,

That ought to be just about perfect. Fish should be

about everywhere. I like to be in the lake just outside

of the Gaps anywhere from 10 to 30 feet of water.

Look for the schools of baitfish on your

electronics and then just anchor up and start jigging. Try

to stop on or right on the deep side of a break, they are

just like stairsteps out there (only they are a half mile

apart).

In the river anywhere from Birchdale to 4 mile bay can

be excellent. I am pretty sure you could never lose

site of Borderview Resort and still catch good fish.

The GPS chip will help in the river. I think the LakeMaster

chip goes to Baudette. Very good and helpful.

My favorite time of the year at Lake of the Woods

Thanks Curt! I am so excited. We just had a new born (3 weeks old), so my fishing season was very non-existant.

Quote:

Thanks Curt! I am so excited. We just had a new born (3 weeks old), so my fishing season was very non-existant.

Congratulations. I know what a newborn can do to your fishing. My boys are all old enough to join me so i am able to fish alot. In fact we did a Lake Superior charter this year and going to do a fall trip 0n LOTW