• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

It is the time of month where HOPPERTUNITY knocks for trout. i went to my favorite river about 20 minutes from rochester and man was it a good time. They really wanted the bright green hopper and a big one too size 8. I was supprised at the hopper bight because of the early morning rains and cloud cover but the big daddys were out and about. Now nothing too terribly big caught one 13,14 and 14 1/2. Had several others on but with the luck of the barbless they came unbuttoned. I just wanted to let you all know to get out there and throw a hopper. All lakes rivers and streams you can find some kind of fish right now that will be more than willing to snatch a hopper. ike

Hoppertunity! LOL! Good one Ike! grin.gif

Awesome report and thanks for the heads up on the hot action and presentation.

Nice report Ike,

Hopportunity knocked down the doors this morning for me as well.

A few questions...

Was the the Rebel hopper your using? Was it a hopper-popper (I like that) or did it have a diving lip? I'm new in the hopper world, so I really don't know what the options are out there. Have you found the poppers work better than the shallow diving hoppers? Are the fish taking these off topwater, or on the dive retrieve?

The hopper i was using was actually a fly. You can pick them up at Gander or Sports athority or ty your own but it looked alot like... (do a google search - orvis has some nice pics)

They are called terristrals (sp) but some common names for the fly are para madam X, Marshmallow hopper or daves hopper. but i have never tried a rebel hopper popper for trout but i notice by your pictures it worked. ike

other good hoppper patterns to use are the chernobyl hopper, Rainy's hoppper, Fat Alberts, and hoppper dropper patterns. Don't forget beetle patterns this time of year as well. They can often be a hot ticket.