• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

BLB, looking for sunflower seed

Nova

BLB, last spring when I was up picking up the MDHA seed from you, you said you had round up ready sunflower seed. Where can a guy some of that for next year?

Not round up ready.

They only had RR corn. The sunflower and sorghum were Non-round up ready.

Sorry.

Hey, did the plots live with the heat and drought???

you will never get Round Up ready (RR) Sunflowers. RR gene is a Genetically Modified Organism (GMO) and the are not allowing any GMO's in eadible foods. So there is pretty much nothing one can do about it either.

Code-Man

No sure about up north, going this weekend to check on them and help control the local goose population. The plot at home is ok, but I WAY over seeded it and that caused the plants to be stunted. I have about 20 plants per square foot shocked.gif They all have flowers, but they are small. I am going to try again next year with the sunflowers but a little less liberal on the seeding. How are your plots doing?

I planted a 4 acre plot of sunflowers this year, got it in late, didn't do much with fertilizer and weed control, but there will be enough heads to draw a few birds. Will be interesting to see how it holds up to snow and weather, and how much is in the heads come Nov 1/Dec 1. If it draws birds and lasts ok, I may try it again next year, with fertilizer and better weed control. I know the pheasants in SoDak sure like sunflowers@!!!!

BLB, how did your plots up north turn out, the ones planted earlier? Most of our clover and broadleaf is looking good, but the 7 acres of corn has only about 50 three foot stalks and not a single cob confused.gif tons of weeds, we are going to disc it and plant a fall plot next weekend.

Corn is one of the toughest foodplots to plant, without fertilizer and the right herbicide applied, it doesn't amount to much. Try some of the Roundup Ready corn next time.

Blackjack, we have the farmer who plants the 80 acres next to the plot do the planting, but the bum says he forgot to hit it with weed control. Funny thing is he remembered to do the feild he harvests frown.gif It was a bummer cause he usually does a great job. I am not real worried about the deer cause the other plots are in good shape, it's more the turkeys that will have very little to eat this winter. We also had a good chunk of the property harvested for aspen last year and the new aspen shoots are everywhere for excellent late season browse.

Quote:

the farmer who plants the 80 acres next to the plot do the planting, but the bum says he forgot to hit it with weed control.

That sucks!! Its hard to get farmers to do small plots but I always thought that would be the ideal way to get a corn plot that looks like regualar field corn. Curious, how much are you paying him to plant it? I've been contemplating having the neighboring farmer cross the line fence to plant my 4 acre plot but I have no idea what to offer him.

Nova

Plots suffered for the most part due to no water and lots of heat. This past weekend we replanted a bunch in winter rye, winter wheat, buck forage oats and regular field oats.

Quote:

Quote:

the farmer who plants the 80 acres next to the plot do the planting, but the bum says he forgot to hit it with weed control.

That sucks!! Its hard to get farmers to do small plots but I always thought that would be the ideal way to get a corn plot that looks like regualar field corn. Curious, how much are you paying him to plant it? I've been contemplating having the neighboring farmer cross the line fence to plant my 4 acre plot but I have no idea what to offer him.

Not sure, Dad handles the financial up there still. He plants the 80 that joins to the plot, and he pays us for renting that so he just deducts what it costs for seed and weed control on the plot from the rent he owes us, so I guess he charges us for supplies only and no labor.

Nova, are you aware that Barry sold his 400 acres in Mabel? Wayne is still farming the homestead, only 240 acres but I think his daughter and husband (Missy and Brad) are buying it from the owners (wayne's parents). (Wow that sounds like a soap opera huh?)

Are you guys still thinking about turkey hunting down there this spring? I haven't been to the strawberry farm in quite a while, but will be there at the end of the month trying to thin out those song dogs.

yeah, we found that out last spring when we were turkey hunting. I always stay on Wayne's land my little bro used to go to the other spot. I hope we will still be able to hunt it next spring.

If Missy and Brad end up buying it, then I am sure you won't have a problem hunting down there

Is Wayne going to continue to farm the land or rent it out or are Missy and Brad going to take over the farming business?

I think wayne will still farm, but I am not sure about the rest.....of course the sale isn't final yet either.....who knows what will happen there