Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dahitman44

Warm goose?

10 posts in this topic

Many of the guys had geese that were spolied by the time they cleaned them last year during early goose. I like to have jerky made of my geese.

Is this something you guys have trouble with?

Do you bring a cooler or can you clean them by Noon and still be ok?

any thoughts would help.

It's definately and issue when it 80 degrees. If you can't bring a cooler out at least get the guts out of them as soon as they hit the ground and try to keep them out of the sun. They will spoil fast. I wish the DNR would make an exception for early goose and let you breast them on the spot.

You can clean your geese in the field the only thing you need to have with geese is one wing must be fully feathered and attached.

The way we do it is gut the goose and put abunch of wet grass in the cavity. It helps cool them down at a quicker rate. The best thing to do is to bring a cooler but somtimes that isn't a option.

Sifty

Great points, guys.

With the weather not hitting 70 degrees up north do you think I need to worry about a cooler? Maybe I can bring them home at noon and that would work. Overnight lows are in the mid-50s so I would think they would be ok till noon?

At least it is not 90 degrees like it is most other years.

Maybe you can take a small cooler full of ice cubes along. When you shoot a goose, gut it, and stuff the inside with ice cubes? You can keep the body cavity full all day this way.

Keep a cooler in your vehicle. If you think it is getting to warm take a walk and drop off the birds. Never hurts to strech the legs.

Its not going to be that warm. If you shoot your limit by 7:30 and get home you should be fine!

we freeze a bunch of 12oz water bottles and keep them in a smaller cooler then after gutting out in the field you stuff the frozen bottle up the cavity and lay bird breast down towel of some sort,cools bird down quickly and then the bird acts as insulation to keep frozen bottle from melting to fast. Good luck .

Elwood -- great suggestion. I am going to do that.

Thanks

Hitman