Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steph

Pike hole

9 posts in this topic

Hey guys how do I get to pike hole by car ?We're thinking of doing lunch there a week from Sat.

Take rt 2 E out of Cass Lake to CRt 10, N on CRt 10, 10 becomes 39, go up to Rt 12 then turn west. I suggest using Mapquest.com (start in Cass Lake and end in Pennington, MN.)

Nice little car ride, but I would much rather do it by boat.

Great place to eat, drink, and look out at the water.

Say hi to Frank from me and from all the Cass Lake Crazies.

Gene

It's ugly by boat right now... Most medium to large size boats need to be walked through the mouth going into Pug Hole... The water is down 16-18" right now. I talked to an old guy who said he can't remember such low water during the summer as we are experiencing. Some boats are stuck on their lifts...

Seems our illustrious Corp of Bungle-eers is planning on keeping Cass at the low level we are seeing right now 56% of the time and 20% of the time it will be lower! mad.giffrown.gifmad.giffrown.gif That leaves us with 24% of the time that the lake levels will be at or above what we consider 'normal'. This is being let out to the public through 'town hall' meetings to be instituted starting this winter as their new water level plan! Say they want to protect the shoreline... They right now already lower it in the fall for the winter months to combat erosion from ice heaves, I guess I didn't think the summer erosion was as big a problem...

They are at minimum level discharge at the Knutson dam of 100 c.f. per minute, but Ottertail power is only letting 50 c.f. per minute out of Lake Bemidji back downstream to Cass, couple that with almost no rain and it is ugly! I hope they change their minds!

Thanks for that reminder and water level info, Ken. If someone does boat in, they better stay to the west side of the river heading up to the Hole.

The Corps has two objectives - minimize flooding during high water conditions and keep the barges afloat during low water conditions. The level of Cass Lake falls somewhere between low and no consideration to them. Yes, they will have meetings, but regardless of input they receive, they will do what they already planned to do anyway. That said, the last two years have been the best fishing that I've ever had, so I'm not complaining too loud. grin.gif

That isn't water related... It's because of two phenomenal year classes from higher water years...

Good Luck!

Ken

Quote:

That isn't water related... It's because of two phenomenal year classes from higher water years...

Good Luck!

Ken

Although this is posted on Cass, I fish numerous other lakes in the area in addition to Cass. Fishing has been fantastic for me for everything with fins on all the lakes that I fish, and different fish require different spawning conditions. Additionally, water level isn't the only factor in a good spawn, it can be affected by temperature after the spawn as well as a variety of another conditions. Over the years from California to Arkansas to Minnesota, I've always done better in low water conditions than high water conditions. Since I am catching incredible numbers of fish from juniors to lunkers across multiple fish species, that would defuse the "high water, good spawn" theory for a couple of year classess. It's either that, or I'm becoming a better fisherman in addition to getting better looking every day. grin.gif

High water helps the spawing by creating more 'nursery' area for them to spawn and the fry to begin life... more food, warmer water, more habitat...

Low water consolidates fish on smaller areas of structure which makes them easier to target...

That's my take...

and I'm stickin to it! grin.gif (though I could be wrong crazy.gif)

Good Luck!

Ken

Ken, I don't think that we are really in disagreement. I agree that high water is usually better for SPAWNING if there isn't something like a severe drop in water level or a severve drop in termperature afterwords. I do maintain that FISHING is better when the water level is low (a few less gazillion gallons of water that the fish can hide in makes them easier to catch). Of course, if there were several extremely bad spawns, it wouldn't matter how much the fish were concentrated. I am hoping for lots of snow this winter and a rainy spring - my lawn doesn't need a year like the last two!