Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
primetime49

Green Lake in good shape,supplememtal stocking not accepted.

6 posts in this topic

Just left a meeting with the Green Lake fisheries manager Bruce Gilbertson,heres the results of our findings.The gill net results are 9.6 to13.5 fish per net.this year compared to {2005]4.4,[2004]6.7,[2003]9.4,[2002]6.25.[2001]7.83,[2000]9.9,[1999]a record-15.6 pre gill net.So the lake is near record capacity and the local fisheries doesnt feel that supplementing is needed at this time.And the other good news is that even thou the Accelerated walleye stocking program is over statewide they plan on an every year stocking thru 2010 with FINGERLINGS and CARRYOVER.They currently have 18 ponds that have WALLEYE in them and have not seen a good winterkill in these for several seasons which actually leaves them with both FINGERLING and 2 to 3 pound CARRYOVER.This will remain a priority lake .If there is a need for additional stocking ,say for example all ponds freeze out we will be contacted by them.It ia fun to work with them and fish suppliers ,in this case Mike Holm from West Central Bait to try and see if we could make any improvements to fishing in this area.I back Bruce Gilbertsons findings and support them.What were really hoping now that the numbers are back up to near record and that they intend to keep up the stocking at the accelerated rate ,that natural reproduction begins to take place.If not they may have to stay with the steady supply of stocked fish.When you see any of these guys ask them to distribute the 2 and 3 pound CARRYOVER to local lakes as when they get such an abundnce all they can do is hope for winterkill.Thanks for viewing this site and comments.Were going out now to buy a few birds,get some shotshell for hunting season and plan some fall getaways.

The stocking efforts are great, but what needs to be done to make fishing better in years to come is applying some stricter regs. (slot limits),(lowering the limits) Why is it there isn't a lake in Kandiyohi county that has any strict walleye regs. We walleye fisherman need a local trophy fishery.

I hear ya walleyeking.

Why stop with Kandiyohi County lakes. Couldn't better regulations state wide make walleye fishing better for all. Maybe minimum size so that some of the small 10"-12" walleye that I see taken out of our lakes by the bucketfull can get a chance to grow to respectable 15"-16" keepers. How about 3 fish daily limit with a 6 fish posession limit.

Just some of my thoughts. But how to get it done??

eyewarrior

How to get it done?

One way would be to write up a petition, get the necessary signatures and present it to the MN DNR.

I've got one requesting the extension of the Special Smallmouth regs up to the Brainerd, MN Dam. The big Mississippi smallmouth are just to special to loose. Anyone wishing to sign the petition can e-mail me at smileyfacetwo@yahoo.com and I will make arrangements to get it done.

You guys are right on when you start talking size and limit rules.The only way to make any change is through statewide regulations.A 3 fish 6 possession may work.I dont know where you would start or stop on size for keepers.This is an election year so next year is a finance year or bill year.Any advise we give to legislators would be best prepared and presented to them immediatly after elections are over.Any bill presented would have to be acted on before Christmas as they send new DNR book over a million of them off to publisher so they can get them out by new Liscense purchase time.Locally being we just went with the premise that whats good for the state is good for us there is no interest in special rules.I will get idea to 2 legislators as already have them working on another outdoors bill.When these bills are common sense they normally get a better audience.If its going to be a tourism issue someone at a resort asked me to throw in a 9 fish possesion if persons are staying for 3 or more days.More input needed now.Just be happy that locally our fisheries is very concerned and pushing all sorts of stocking.Meanwhile I am still practicing catch and release,it makes people look at you like your a real fisherman when you order Canadian Walleye for lunch or supper instead of steak.Just think what that could do to the beef industry.We are also planning more out of state fishing trips.