Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
klw

Gull Lake Walleyes

12 posts in this topic

On Sunday I was able to enjoy some of the hot summer bite on Gull Lake. Just so happens that I has sharing my enjoyment with a local guide and his three customers. Me and my son in a three hour time period were able to catch and release about 35-40 walleyes. Of these 35-40 we caught 3 that were longer than 13". I was a little dissapointed to watch the boat next to me keep limits of these 10 and 11 inch walleyes. I understand the need to make clients happy but I sure hope that this is not the norm.

I can't speak for everyone but our crew tries to use 14 inches as a minimum size for keepers. We also try hard to let the females go. I'm not in the boat with our guides but I usually take a peak at the catch after the trips are complete. They have done a pretty good job of following that rule the last couple of years.

It is sad to see that type of behavior out on the water. I've seen it a couple of times out on the lake this year. Hopefully for future's sake we can get enough anglers to change to a more ethical approach, especially fishing guides.

I'm glad you guys were able to get in on the good fishing. It sure would be fantastic if all those little walleyes were allowed to grow up. I guess we'll see what happens.

Jason Erlandson

FYI it was not one of your guides....

There is ZERO reason for not having a slot on Gull!!

Rainy-slot

Winnie-slot

Mille Lacs-slot

Red-slot

Kabetogema-slot

Leech-slot

Namakan-slot

Vermillion-slot

If Gull wants to be mentioned in the same breath, then the sportsmen better start talking about a slot. That is the way it started up at Rainy about 20 years ago.

BHS

I have been hearing about the great bite on Gull. I gave it a try over the Memorial day weekend and only ended up catching a couple. I am by no means a walleye expert. I tried some jigging with crawlers and fatheads, lindy rigs and bobbers. Do redtails really make the difference?? Is there a good afternoon bite or is it a lot better at sunset and into dark. If so, what depths at what times.

Its hard to come back from Canada where all you needed to do was drop a jig on a mid-lake hump with a twister tail and catch fish. I usually fish bass and pike around here, but decided its time to learn how to go after the "eyes". Thanks for any help..

You don't need red tails, but they are pretty tough to beat because the walleye's normally love them. This time of year, you could get by using crawlers on a Lindy Rig or a jig and a minnow (rainbow chub or fat head) is a great presentation as well. I would say that the afternoon bite has been pretty good, escpecially now that we are in the full moon phase. Evening is ALWAYS a hard time to beat, but we were out yesterday and the afternoon was pretty good. We were using red tails in 17 ish feet of water. You need to know a nuber of spots so you can keep trying to find the hungry schools, it's not automatic fish catching everyday on all spots.

Good luck,

Walleyedan

I agree with you walleyedan they seem to bite at anytime of the day. What is your key to finding a keeper or two in the mix? Me and my boy were out on monday afternoon and again caught about 25-30 walleyes but only kept three 14 inches or better. We have tried many diff. places where we are marking fish, they are just mostly small ones. Don't get me wrong, they are very aggressive and fun to catch but a few keepers is always nice

Was out on Sunday again, boated 30-35 walleye from 8am-2pm.

7 were 14in or better, biggest was 18.5... we moved ALOT picking of a bunch here and there... seemed the bigger ones would bite right when we found a new spot and marked them, after that was small ones until we moved to the next spot...

We only kept a couple for the pan...

when you are rigging how long are the leaders? When I am jigging I am keeping close to the bottom with a 3/8 oz jig..most of the fish im marking seem to be close to the bottom, does that sound right? Thanks.

I have tried both rigging and jigging and it doesn't seem to make much of a difference....when you find active fish they will bite. My boy actually outfished me on Monday and I was using a Lindy rig and he has using a 3/8 oz. fireball in green/yellow and a small redtail.

Keep hopping around and fish smaller out of the way spots. They might not hold large schools but many times they are the bigger fish you'd prefer to catch. That's one of the best techniques lately to pick off a bigger fish. Usually they are a little more aggressive.

Jason Erlandson

I was up a little while ago and we had good luck running bottom bouncers and spinners with crawlers and leeches in 16-24 feet outside the weeds. 5-6 leeder worked well, caught fish from noon till we were tired. We also found that spots with noone on them had a better size to them. Only caught 2 under 14 inches. Also caught a few tossing cranks outside weeds fishing for bass. That's kind of how we stumbled onto a few of the spots.