Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
T-water

Bilge fuse problem

6 posts in this topic

I recently had my boat re-wired. Last week my bilge died after about 30 seconds (popped fuse). Put in a new fuse it popped right away that happened 3 more times. I called the place that did the rewire they said the bilge was dead. Tonight I wired the bilge directly to the battery, bypassing the fuse and it ran fine. The popping fuse is a 20 amp (car fuse). What do I need to do to get the bilge back on the switch without blowing the fuse?

Check your timer modul. Thats what mine was doing and it was the timer modul. Does it work on manual and not the timer? Also I had some gunk in the bilge itself. Took it apart and cleaned it out and that seems to have done the trick.

Thanks for the answer, but I'm afraid I don't have a timer module...and the fuse popped on a brand new bilge pump as well! Aaargh

Maybe a short at the switch or elsewhere then? I would make sure all your l;ines are free of debry as well. I blew mine out with my garden hose.

If you are blowing a 20 A fuse, you have a short somewhere, is there anything else fed beyond that fuse? Also as Northlander mentioned, it could be a short at the switch.

I'm going to check the switch tonight! Will report back.