Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tweedlap

Predictions of the August Roadside count.......

16 posts in this topic

I, optimistically, predict a 90 to 100% increase in the statewide average.

Please, God, let me be correct.

tweed

Just depends on whether its sunny/rainy/foggy weather that one single day they can count. Single least reliable number we hear every year, complete joke!

amen

The DNR should save the $$ on the roadside counts. Send a survey to area farmers and the rural mail carriers. They'll tell you what is on the roads and how the numbers look.

The roadside counts are a pretty lame way to predict fall hunting but it does give some indications of what to expect. I'm still trying to figure out how the DNR figures out how we shot 500,000 roosters last fall. Is there a hunter survey I don't know about? It's not a survey question when you buy a license. Any ideas?

Quote:

I'm still trying to figure out how the DNR figures out how we shot 500,000 roosters last fall.

2nd least accurate/useful number we hear all year...

Yeah, I had a buddy that was hired to do roadside counts for the DNR. He lied about what he saw. If he saw 20 birds, he reported 10. His little way of preventing the masses from invading SW MN after the report is published I guess.

You'd think that with all of the miles a game warden puts on, they'd be able to report what they're seeing instead of hiring a college kid.

On a one year basis the numbers may be off but over time road side count numbers can be compared to other years and give us SOME idea as to what management stratagies are working or not working in different sections of the state. Lake surveys aren't always accurate, but comparing against other surveys gives you a fair estimate on how certian populations are doing, same thing. If you look at the roadside count numbers for a certian area, then look at harvest numbers in that same area, they usually mirror each other to some degree. Also they like to have lots of statistics when they go asking for the $$$.

I've driven pretty much the same 50 mile (25 each way) drive everyday for the past 15 years. Mostly back tar roads and gravel. Probably the most birds I've seen in those years. Lot's of different sized broods too, some of the older ones you can see the color coming along nicely and then there are little ones the size of a dove! Should be a great fall of pheasant hunting for those who hunt them! smile.gif

setterguy, I agree. They sure match up well with the harvest numbers. although there is some ambiguity in the way they collect the data, that is why they run the same route 5 times. over time, the numbers are pretty accurate. they are quick to point out, the numbers are not to be brought down to the local level. they are regional type numbers. all in all, they do a pretty darn good job. surveying farmers would be a joke, I cant tell you how many times the farmer says "I havent seen many birds this year on my place" and I go out and they are everywhere.

Quote:

I cant tell you how many times the farmer says "I havent seen many birds this year on my place" and I go out and they are everywhere.

I started laughing when I read that. That happened to me 2 or 3 times last season.

Well, the results are in on the DNR website. Numbers are "similar" to last year, and even up slightly. I always find it interesting to look at the zones they define and look at how many birds there are per mile in different areas. Also, the dove count this year is supposedly up 50% over 2005. From what I've seen this year, I'd believe that one.

I would agree with having a few farmers or rural mail carriers do the counts.You also could have the people that do the spraying of crops do a count.I use to help a friend in a fertilizer plant apply fertilizer,chemical and such to the farmers fields and we pretty much could tell you where the birds were and how many from year to year.The CO's could also do a very good road count.

Many better ways to figure the bird populations.

So what is up with the area along the MN River in the SW part of Renville County? Did someone drop a pheasant bomb in that 20+ mile radius? I know Renville has draintiled almost everything, but that area on the map is down every year?

Check it out:

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/outdoor_activities/hunting/pheasant/prospectsmap06.pdf

This area in Renville county has many pheasants where habitat is in CREP or CRP, but the amount of habitat acres is much less than surrounding counties.

Thus when you are driving your pheasant count route - you simply do not see many birds compared to regions of MN with better and more dispersed habitat.

Note the disclaimer on the chart. Regions reported poor will have pockets of good pheasant densities.

Unless you have private land to hunt in this area, the amount of public land is low and there are better places to target.

A few more points.

The SW region's gain actually carries the state's population increase. Many other areas of MN saw no change or a decrease. The areas of "good" density appear to decrease on across the pheasant range.

Compare this data to SD. They report birds per mile. If you times their number by 100 ==> the SD bird densities range from 300 to 1000 birds per 100 miles.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• BringAnExtension

Posted

11 hours ago, ZachD said:

I am sure Johnny P is all booked up on weekends by now and for some reason some of the guys don't like sleeper houses all though I may push for it this year last year was such a hassle packing everything up for the night loading the trucks having to bring sleds and wheelers. I much rather bring my flasher couple rods and lots of beer. I go fishing enough running and gunning its nice to have a break where you just show up and fish.

Yes, he probably is.  I book with him early.  I think that he offers guide service in December up until he opens the sleepers up.  Might align with your portables.

• I was on Namakan yesterday and kept 4 eyes 14" to 15" caught in under 20' of water. Water temp is 60. I was rigging with a half crawler. However, I had friends out using jigs and minnows in 40+ ft and they did well. He said he found a school and using his I Pilot just hovered over the top of them. So it seems the fish are scattered and all methods are working.

1 person likes this
    • monstermoose78

Posted

I hope this weekend is better than last!!  I know there is a  lot of ducks around but they have so many places to hide.

• If you want to stay away from the crowd I would suggest Beacon Harbor I think after jan 1st they don't allow day passes its only beacon harbor and outdoor authority who have houses there. Then they allow only a limited amount of yearly passes.

Now they don't have all the bells and whistles like a bar and food ect but John and Ann are some of the nicest people you will ever meet. Not to mention I personally think it is some of the best.

Now if you needed a bar and food and all that my choices would be Rogers or Westwind

• fins_n'_feathers

Posted

Today was the complete opposite of yesterday. The current coming out of light house gap made a pocket of clear water out in the lake overnight, fished right on the edge of the muddy water in 14 feet of water and went through 3 bags of frozen shiners and caught a bunch on plastics after the minnows were gone. Nothing fantastic for size, only 3 in the slot but nice limits of 14-17 inchers and a ton of smaller fish. Once that muddy water gets blown out or clears up the bite is going to be crazy good!

1 person likes this
    • eyeguy 54

Posted

212 wondering the same thing maybe?? ;)   

• Agronomist_at_IA

Posted

• CigarGuy

Posted

I got 4 nice ones last Friday in about 8' to 9' of water in a channel off Wakemup Bay .  It was the last hour of daylight.  Tried a couple times during the day Saturday and right before dark and struck out.

• 11 hours ago, BringAnExtension said:

Zach-

I have been making annual ice fishing trips with friends for about 12 years ago.  We have tried LOTW, Mille Lacs, Red and one other lake that happened to be where we could use a free cabin for a weekend.  With that one exception for the free cabin, we have also rented sleepers.

We have never made it to Devils Lake, but it is on my personal bucket list just because of the possibility of those monster perch.

Six years ago, we ended up back on Red and no longer consider any other option.  Here's why:

• This fishing is good.
      • The Petrowske family are wonderful hosts.
      • No other resort that we have used has come close to being wonderful hosts.  They just didn't put any effort into it.

Now, I don't know how that you translate to your running portables, but I have never been disappointed with our trips to URL.

Hope that helps.

You should definitely try Devils lake I went 3 years ago and had a blast. Not only did we get put on a good perch bite but they put us on an Insane walleye bite the guy said it was about an hour window from when the sun starting setting and boy was he right in that hour I caught walleye after walleye after walleye. As soon as I would start reeling one up another mark would take its place on my graph and I couldn't get my lure down fast enough.

I am sure Johnny P is all booked up on weekends by now and for some reason some of the guys don't like sleeper houses all though I may push for it this year last year was such a hassle packing everything up for the night loading the trucks having to bring sleds and wheelers. I much rather bring my flasher couple rods and lots of beer. I go fishing enough running and gunning its nice to have a break where you just show up and fish.

I usually go to red 3-4 times a year and last year we did go to red for our work trip as well. Just weighing the options.

Has anyone ever rented house from Arties bait on big stone?

• DRAGFOOT

Posted

I don't know what to say, we crushed em jigging in 30 feet last Friday while getting knocked around in the waves. Anchored up and never moved. Lots of boats on the river already then and not good reports at that point. I was going to go back up for Saturday and if I did I would go straight out to 30 feet again. 

• BringAnExtension
      Yes, he probably is.  I book with him early.  I think that he offers guide service in December up until he opens the sleepers up.  Might align with your portables.
    • Dusty
      I was on Namakan yesterday and kept 4 eyes 14" to 15" caught in under 20' of water. Water temp is 60. I was rigging with a half crawler. However, I had friends out using jigs and minnows in 40+ ft and they did well. He said he found a school and using his I Pilot just hovered over the top of them. So it seems the fish are scattered and all methods are working.
    • monstermoose78
      I hope this weekend is better than last!!  I know there is a  lot of ducks around but they have so many places to hide.
    • ZachD
      If you want to stay away from the crowd I would suggest Beacon Harbor I think after jan 1st they don't allow day passes its only beacon harbor and outdoor authority who have houses there. Then they allow only a limited amount of yearly passes. Now they don't have all the bells and whistles like a bar and food ect but John and Ann are some of the nicest people you will ever meet. Not to mention I personally think it is some of the best.   Now if you needed a bar and food and all that my choices would be Rogers or Westwind
    • fins_n'_feathers
      Today was the complete opposite of yesterday. The current coming out of light house gap made a pocket of clear water out in the lake overnight, fished right on the edge of the muddy water in 14 feet of water and went through 3 bags of frozen shiners and caught a bunch on plastics after the minnows were gone. Nothing fantastic for size, only 3 in the slot but nice limits of 14-17 inchers and a ton of smaller fish. Once that muddy water gets blown out or clears up the bite is going to be crazy good!