• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Dog Vest

slopmaster

Im getting a neoprene dog vest this year for duck hunting so my dog blends in and keeps her warm, and was wondering if anyone uses them for pheasant hunting to. Just thought that even if it was cool out that she would be more likly to over heat since it dosent take long to get heated up when you are walking around in cattails all day.

I haven't seen a neoprene vest used for pheasant, usually they stay warm enough by all of the running. I know my lab would never need it, plus the thing would be shredded in about 30 minutes, I'd guess. My advice for the duck hunting: buy a 5 mm vest with the "tuff" material on the chest (try Cabelas). And make sure you trim it so the vest does not rub her front legs or she will get chafed/rubbed raw. It's amazing how well they stay warm inside those vests. It was 4 degrees once last year and I put my bare hand under the vest and it was toasty!

Good luck!

Mine wear vests after the snow flies and it gets cold. If they tear a bit you can mend with neoprene wader repair glue.

There are cordura nylon vests for pheasant hunting that protect skin from tearing, but I would not use a neoprene vest in the uplands - ever. Too much heat build up in a running dog even on a 10 degree day.

Does anyone know of a brand of vest that fits a pointer well? I have a griffon and purchased a vest, but it fit terrible and returned it. It was tight on his chest and lose in his stomach. It was a terrible fit on him. Maybe that is what I will have to live with. He loves water and I would like to use him for late season ducks, but I think I need to get him a vest.

Gills-

I don't think it is the type of dog as much as it is their build. I tried 3 different vests on my lab. I bought them to fit him in the chest and they were way to loose around the neck and bulged around his front shoulders. The poor guy was loading so much water through the neck that he could barely swim. I eventually just altered a vest to fit him. The material on the outside of the vests holds up very well when sewn. If you know someone that can sew they can get-r-done in about 15 minutes. He had it all last year with no problems.

I use a neoprene vest for my DD duck hunting only if its below freezing. They are to warm for upland in my opinion. They are ment for the dog that sits still between retrieves.

Mwal

Gills

I found a neoprene vest that I use on my Griffon that only uses velcro down the back to hold it on, I added a couple of strips of velcro so I could make it tighter around his stomach. I think it is a Cabelas brand there isn't a name on it.

Roger

Roger

Thanks for the input. That is a good thought about the extra velcro to tighten around the stomach. I live in Owatonna, so checking out Cabela's will not be an issue.

I will check out few more vests and see if I can find the right fit.

I use one on my female Shorthair.

The grass and brush was rough on her teats.

Me breader suggested a neoprene that I found at Cabela's.

It is "cut-to-fit" around the legs.

Last year in SD she jumped a barbed wire fence and got hung up.

If it hadn't been for the vest she would have gotten tore up bad.

She got into it with a racoon in Iowa two years ago and survived.

The vest has the claw marks to show.

I take it off at the vehicle so she can cool down and get the small sticks etc. out so they don't rub.

She didn't like it at first but now doesn't mind.

Sorry for the hijack, but this site does not have private messages.

Nine year old Brittany is from Quail Hollow Kennels in NJ. This was my second Brittany from this breeder. This nine year old Brittany is simply one of the best wild pheasant dogs in the upper midwest. Her ability to pin running birds has been phenominal. Not bad on ruffed grouse either.

One year old Brittany is from Ben's Brittanys in southern Minnesota. She has had solid points on wild roosters at 8 months of age. Natural retriever and will be an excellent dog too. Her only problem is job sharing with the older dog above, since I only hunt one dog at a time. This rotation does cut into her time afield, but I do not demand my Britts to be at the top of their game until 2 or 3.

Can not go wrong with either breeder, but the whole family experience with buying a dog from Ben was great. I like the idea that Ben has a relatively small number of dogs and focuses on quality not quantitiy. Ben has proven hunting dog bloodlines...

He frequents this site as Kentucky Ike. Give him a call!

I use a vest on my dog. I have a light one for the warm weather and a neoprene one for the colder days. She was getting torn up from the cattails and also a couple of fences. The vests help a lot and she doesn't seem to mind. I have also used boots on her when hunting rough icy conditions. Those were more a challenge to get her used to but once she realized we go hunting when they are on, no problem. I have not had any overheating issues but I also keep an eye on the dog and don't use the neoprene in warm weather.