Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scott M

Hunting Big Water

3 posts in this topic

Just a very general questions - how easy is it to hunt big water like Round, Sand, Bowstring for divers? Do you need a ton of decoys?What about the river between Sand and B.String? Where do you launch? Public I assume? When is the best time to hit it?

The biggest thing when hunting the big water, is SAFETY! You need to really watch the weather. What I do is set up in a reed bed point and throw out about 3-4 doz decoys, mainly bills, but make sure to have at least a half dozen goldeneye's in a group by themselves. That white does wonders!!! Usually diver hunting get's going about mid-October. Theres a public landing on the west side of the Bowstring River, about halfway between County Road's 37 on the south and 35 on the north. There's also another public landing south of Inger, on the north side of Cow Bay.

Brian

Agree with BMC, Safety is number one! A few years back 4 hunters went down on Sand in some nasty waves. Our boat pulled two of them out and another boat with two guys were able to pull the other two out. This was COLD water. As far as I know everyone was safe with no ill effects but please be carefull. Now that safety has been stressed the river between Sand and Bowstirng is a good place to hunt. It is really really busy the opening weekend but after that there are plently of spots to go around. Bring a push pole because the rice can get pretty nasty on the outboard. Good luck. I'm sure you'll find a decent spot to wack some nice birds. Maybe I'll see you around there. grin.gif