Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MO Pike

Canadian waters

10 posts in this topic

Was wondering if someone could advise on how to get permits to fish on the Canada side of Nam. If it is difficult or not or even worth it. We would be there for a week in September. We fish mainly for Northerns.

I fish the Canadian side each time. The process begins at stopping at the border on Sandpoint and requesting permission for the day to enter. Then acquiring a fishing license at Sand Point lodge. Each day when you wish to enter Canada, you must drive all they way back to the border station to request a daily pass. Lots of gas running back and forth. I do it, but I'm sure there are many that would advise that it is not worth the extra time if you're camping on Nam.

I don't know if they're still available, but about 10 years ago we got a remote border crossing permit on LOW at the NW Angle. For $20 we could avoid checking in at customs every day. With a Canadian license, we just fished wherever we wanted. We picked it up at the Canadian customs station in Rainy River.

Hillbiehle,

Where did you get your I-68 permits? Did you run up to the Falls before your trip, and where did you call back into US immigration to report that you had reentered the US? I've often wondered about trying the Ontario side, I've heard there is some good bass fishing, but with the RABC and now the I-68 requirement it seems a bit much.

explorer,

You can get the Canadian remote border crossing permit at the Customs bldg. right at the border, its good for a year.

The I68 permit, you get at the US Customs bldg, its good for a year, $16, and they give you the permit with phone # to call after reentry. The whole process, including buying the Canadian fishing license only takes about an hour total, and everything is good for a year. guts

From talking with the Canadian officer, my understanding was that you still need to check in everyday if you plan to fish. With the remote border crossing, you can cross over as many times as you wish, but if you plan to fish you need to check in. I hope that I am incorrect, cause then would save alot of time and gas money.

I have a cabin on Crane lake and I have the RABC permit and the I-68 form and from what I have been informed you do not need to check into the Canadian customs. Now I fish canada every weekend and have never been checked so I can not be certain this is correct but everyone I have spoken with said I do not need to check into customs. Now when it comes to bait make sure you either have worms or you bought bait on the canadian side(sand point lodge).

Thanks for the info guts...i usually camp out on the islands in Nam, and having to call in to US immigration would be a hassle, no cell service out there and a run in to the ash river landing to use the pay phone each time would be way tooo much running.

thank all of you for your replies. If I do go to Sandpoint and request entry for the day, what type of documents will they require? drivers license etc.. and how far is the port of entry at Sandlake from the far east side of Namakan?

thanks

It's a little less than 10 miles from the Sand Point Lodge to the former Berger's Trading Post where the Namakan River comes into the lake. If you take US crawlers into Canada they must be packed in newspapers no soil or worm bedding. No other bait allowed. If you buy bait at Sand Point be sure to keep your receipt.