Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MO Pike

Canadian waters

10 posts in this topic

Was wondering if someone could advise on how to get permits to fish on the Canada side of Nam. If it is difficult or not or even worth it. We would be there for a week in September. We fish mainly for Northerns.

I fish the Canadian side each time. The process begins at stopping at the border on Sandpoint and requesting permission for the day to enter. Then acquiring a fishing license at Sand Point lodge. Each day when you wish to enter Canada, you must drive all they way back to the border station to request a daily pass. Lots of gas running back and forth. I do it, but I'm sure there are many that would advise that it is not worth the extra time if you're camping on Nam.

I don't know if they're still available, but about 10 years ago we got a remote border crossing permit on LOW at the NW Angle. For $20 we could avoid checking in at customs every day. With a Canadian license, we just fished wherever we wanted. We picked it up at the Canadian customs station in Rainy River.

Hillbiehle,

Where did you get your I-68 permits? Did you run up to the Falls before your trip, and where did you call back into US immigration to report that you had reentered the US? I've often wondered about trying the Ontario side, I've heard there is some good bass fishing, but with the RABC and now the I-68 requirement it seems a bit much.

explorer,

You can get the Canadian remote border crossing permit at the Customs bldg. right at the border, its good for a year.

The I68 permit, you get at the US Customs bldg, its good for a year, $16, and they give you the permit with phone # to call after reentry. The whole process, including buying the Canadian fishing license only takes about an hour total, and everything is good for a year. guts

From talking with the Canadian officer, my understanding was that you still need to check in everyday if you plan to fish. With the remote border crossing, you can cross over as many times as you wish, but if you plan to fish you need to check in. I hope that I am incorrect, cause then would save alot of time and gas money.

I have a cabin on Crane lake and I have the RABC permit and the I-68 form and from what I have been informed you do not need to check into the Canadian customs. Now I fish canada every weekend and have never been checked so I can not be certain this is correct but everyone I have spoken with said I do not need to check into customs. Now when it comes to bait make sure you either have worms or you bought bait on the canadian side(sand point lodge).

Thanks for the info guts...i usually camp out on the islands in Nam, and having to call in to US immigration would be a hassle, no cell service out there and a run in to the ash river landing to use the pay phone each time would be way tooo much running.

thank all of you for your replies. If I do go to Sandpoint and request entry for the day, what type of documents will they require? drivers license etc.. and how far is the port of entry at Sandlake from the far east side of Namakan?

thanks

It's a little less than 10 miles from the Sand Point Lodge to the former Berger's Trading Post where the Namakan River comes into the lake. If you take US crawlers into Canada they must be packed in newspapers no soil or worm bedding. No other bait allowed. If you buy bait at Sand Point be sure to keep your receipt.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• she's getting big

• delcecchi

Posted

Crescent and south switch have good burgers too, and I wouldn't have to drive so far. 

• monstermoose78

Posted

No internet in the field today. Had a group sky busting keeping birds out of anyone's range. Riverrat and I got buzzed by teal a few time and a pair of woodies scooted through. Should have had a shoveler and some woodies. The bugs were so bad I lost 4 pints of blood. 

Now to the fun parts Finn was jumping woodcock son the fields on our way out. Finn did good but does not like no action. After leaving the refuge I checked my dads pond. O yeah there was a woodie sitting on the log bang!! No finn needs to do his job.

IMG_0607.JPG

IMG_0610.JPG

IMG_0612.JPG

Finn did good he got it and brought it back to me!! Way to go Finn. 

• Lindy came along on our trip to Western MN for duck opener. The guys that came out Thursday to start scouting had a field lined up with alot of geese but they got busted off the roost early in a huge flock and didn't commit. We ended up with only 2 birds today.  She had to stay back in her crate during the hunt but got to play with a wing afterwards. 

IMG_20160924_110720925.jpg

IMG_20160924_104852333_HDR.jpg

1 person likes this
    • Cliff Wagenbach

Posted

Great burgers at the Black Bear Cafe just South of Tower at any time!

Great price on Thursdays (burger day at around $3.50)!

Cliff

• dairyman

Posted (edited)

what size screen does your new unit have----------------I have a 5 inch helix with side imaging and for me it worthless-------------------the screen is TOO small to see whats going on.  I wouldn't buy any unit that didn't have at least a 7 inch screen.  What unit is your new one??

Edited by dairyman
    • dairyman

Posted

I've got a powerdrive also...............my unit would run fine out of water,in water no way.  The prop would barely turn.  I ended up replacing the board the unit and it runs like champ now.  I had it to a dealer and they told me there was nothing wrong with it----------but ,they only bench tested it and did not do a tank test

• DRAGFOOT

Posted

Fished Thursday in 30 feet out of the gap and did very well. Couple of slots and a couple of dinks but mostly nice keeper size fish, had to quit early in the day because we had all our fish. Should only get better from here on out I would think. 

• RoosterMan

Posted

Feels like fall this morning!  I was yesterday morning with my son. We did some trolling and it was really good.  I think I might try to get the jigging rods out today and give that a go.  First headed to see the wolves with the kids.  

• monstermoose78

Posted

Wide awake!!! So excited I am for Finn's first duck opener!!! He is snoring like a chain saw.  I will post from the field

• ZachD
      she's getting big
    • delcecchi
      Crescent and south switch have good burgers too, and I wouldn't have to drive so far. 
    • monstermoose78
      No internet in the field today. Had a group sky busting keeping birds out of anyone's range. Riverrat and I got buzzed by teal a few time and a pair of woodies scooted through. Should have had a shoveler and some woodies. The bugs were so bad I lost 4 pints of blood.  Now to the fun parts Finn was jumping woodcock son the fields on our way out. Finn did good but does not like no action. After leaving the refuge I checked my dads pond. O yeah there was a woodie sitting on the log bang!! No finn needs to do his job. Finn did good he got it and brought it back to me!! Way to go Finn. 
    • MattL
      Lindy came along on our trip to Western MN for duck opener. The guys that came out Thursday to start scouting had a field lined up with alot of geese but they got busted off the roost early in a huge flock and didn't commit. We ended up with only 2 birds today.  She had to stay back in her crate during the hunt but got to play with a wing afterwards.     
    • Cliff Wagenbach
      Great burgers at the Black Bear Cafe just South of Tower at any time! Great price on Thursdays (burger day at around $3.50)! Cliff