Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
musky hunter

Saturday's action on the St. Louis

10 posts in this topic

Saturday morning came and the wife and I were having breakfast. Maureen had to work, leaving me with a free pass for the day. I loaded up the boat and headed out to the river in search of some smallmouth action. The early morning cloud cover was holding, a good thing because I didn’t get out until 10:00 am. There wasn’t much traffic on the river and I was all alone. On the fourth cast, there was a big slurpee sound and the buzz bait disappeared. A few runs, a surface splash or two, and four big turns all around the boat and she was ready for the net. I slipped the net under the ski and lifted, but the all too small netting tore away at the rim but the fish was still there and I was able to capture her with a two handed grab around the mesh. She measured out at 41”, not a bad start for the day and I’m pumped. But not getting any action after the musky, I move to a different spot and switch to an 1/8 ounce jig and minnow.

I meet another basser and we swap stories and tips. He too has had a little musky action in search of the bronzebacks. He leaves, and I begin to pick up some action on the minnows. It’s getting close to high noon and the nice cloud cover is burning off. I make a pitch upstream and get a solid hit, but the fish immediately heads right at me. Then I see a flash and I’m thinking another big bass is in there with the one I’ve got on. Then another flash out of the corner of my eye, did I see a forked tail? Suddenly, my bass seems to be hung up on a rock or submerged stick. I set my rod down and am directly above it, pulling vertically. I can feel a fish bumping the line but no way can I move it and surely can’t see what it’s stuck on. Then everything breaks loose.

My spinning rod starts singing and I know I’ve got another musky on. 10# power pro and a 20# fluorocarbon leader on a spinning rod is hardly adequate musky hardware but that’s what I’ve got to work with. After a few runs around the boat it decides to head south. It’s actually pulling the boat, so I vector the trolling motor to maintain position in the middle of the channel. Only patience will land this fish. I don’t know long this fight has been going on, but we are getting to be about 100 yards from where I initially hooked up with the fish. Finally, some signs of tiring appear and I can get the big girl up to the surface. Two things strike me. I cannot see my jig at all, and it seems to be substantially bigger than the one I took earlier. The only way I can possibly land the fish, being that the netting is no longer an option, is to beach the boat, jump in and try to walk the fish up a shallow bank. I’m just about to do this when the fish makes another run, and then, in an instant, the line goes slack and she’s off. My heart sinks, but there is still something on the end of the line.

I reel in one still alive but very woozy 15” bass! I never saw anything sticking out of the big girl’s mouth when I had her up. She must have had the bass head first, deep in the gullet with the line coming out the side of the mouth. Incredible as it seems, there wasn’t a knick on my leader. I guess you could say the big one got away but did it? After all, I landed every fish I put a hook into. It’s now about 12:30 pm, and I’m ready to head in for lunch.

Sounds like fun man. We are starting to see a lot of Muskies now that its the "golden" hour of the season.

Steve, maybe I should grab my muskie box and 2 rods and jump in the lund and we can spend a day looking for some skies. You could always tell yourself your looking for really big walleyes grin.gif

We catch a couple 30 plus inch walleyes every year chasing muskies and many more in the 26-30 range. The biggest we have pulled out of the river thus far was a fat 33 1/2 incher.

When it comes to river systems, it seems as though all the really big fish want the same things reguardless of what specie they are.

Musky Searcher you got a 33 plus inch walleye out of the River? blush.gif Thats a PIG! I hope thats on the wall. I have never seen anything bigger than 32 out of the River or Lake for that matter.

If you have pics I would love to see them. Thats my new bench mark, 33" to go with the 32" and 31.5" I got out of the River.

By the way I hit the upper river today. TONS of smallies and only 1 eye. confused.gif A few small pike and a lot of Rockies. Crappies are still avoiding me. Anyone getting any Crappies yet? Water still seems a bit warm for them to be in the usual fall spots.

Yeah we caught the big walleye about 3 years ago casting for muskies in the Spirit Lake general area. We have caught several more walleye in this same spot chasing muskies, but that was the biggest. It seems that the big walleyes are a lot shallower than the small ones. Or maybe that is just because the small ones aren't interested in the baits I am throwing. That fish could be 35" or 36" by now if she is still healthy and growing. And no it is not on the wall. The first fish going on my wall will be a replica of the 55 plus inch muskie I catch. Now I just need to find and catch that fish.

Dang, Northlander sounds like you need to switch up to muskie hunting if ya wanna tie into one of them 32" + walleyes!! grin.gifgrin.gif

You could fish walleyes (or muskies)on the river the rest of your life and not catch a 33"...or anywhere else for that matter. That is a very old fish esp. for superior. I think that is pushing the limit. I don't see a 35-36" coming from the river. Just too slow growing out there. Northlander youve likely caught your biggest (or at least longest) eye from the river...32" is a hawg...tough to beat. What time of year was that?

The 32" was May 19th of 02 I believe and the 31.5" was June 6th of 03. I have a bunch more 30" and over but those were the 2 biggest.

Like I say a 33" walleye is almost unbelievable but could happen. I know of a few that size above the 23 before season. A 33" out of the river would be on my wall no doubt. It would still be swimming but I would have a replica done.

Hit the river tonight with my jigs and shiners in hand. Hit my usual up river spots but all I could locate was a channel cat and a bunch of really nice smallies. Smallies were off rock piles in about 8-10' of water. They were just smacking the shiners on a 1/8th oz. angle eye jig. After using up most of my shiners I went to a pearl power shiner and kept on bangin them smallies. Biggest was 18.5" and smallest was in the 10" range. It was a blast on my 6'6" light action Midwest rod! Ill be back out tomorrow afternoon hitting it again this time with more shiners. wink.gif

Also Sam if ya read this it was a blast trying to get ya on some Skis. Next time you will get that Hawg ya had on for a bit. I hope to get ya up here again and we can make a day of it and hit more of the river we didnt get to tonight.

Thanks for those awesome looking bucktails! They sure look like the ticket should I ever learn how to toss a baitcaster. wink.gif Who knows maybe then Ill bang my 33" eye for the wall. Artistic Anglers Graphite Mount of course. I will CPR anything big to live another day and have someones kid(s) catch down the road.

Oh man I love fall fishin!!!

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• 750 this week only Im losing money on this but would rather have someone be able to use it than for it to just sit around. After this week I am going to winterize it and it will no longer be for sale.

• How is she on the sit command?  That is the basis of everything.  She needs to learn to sit still and wait until the next command.  I don't even teach my dogs "stay" because it isn't necessary if they are solid on "sit".  Every dog has the ability to be steady, it is up to you to teach them.  A lab that isn't steady in the boat is not only annoying, it is potentially dangerous with loaded guns and the potential to capsize a boat in open water. 

If she knows sit but just needs some reinforcement, it may just take a couple trips where you don't even bring the gun along and let others shoot while you handle the dog. 

If she's real bad, I would recommend going back to the basics. It will be tougher with an older dog versus a puppy but is definitely worth it. Check out the retriever training DVDS by Bill Hillman. They are spendy but definitely worth it.

• easyrider25

Posted

Looking for advice on keeping the dog focused and quiet in the duck boat.  Was out today and we shot enough ducks to keep her busy, however my dog is such a hyper hypo that it's a  little annoying.  Either whining or jumping back and forth from the front and back of the boat.  Do I just need to establish the expectation and keep on her till she finally gets it or is this how some dogs are in the boat? This is her 4th year duck hunting and she has continued to improve each season.  Overall I am happy with her work, especially with the limited amount of hunting I do.  We were out today for 3 hours, shot 8 birds and she did great on the retrieving end and is pretty much focused on the skies, but if something is not constantly dropping from them I feel like I have a screaming baby on my hands.  It's not really that bad, just very annoying.   I would just like her to sit in her spot, stare at the skies and wait for my command.  Is this to much to ask?

• On 9/24/2016 at 3:30 PM, ZachD said:

she's getting big

She's up to 38 pounds at a few days short of 5 months and does not stop going 100 mph. She got exposed to a lot of feathers this weekend at duck camp. She retrieved dead ducks and geese in the yard after our hunts. The goose was a bit big so I chopped a wing off and worked with that after she picked it up and barely made it back a short distance to me. 

1 person likes this
    • delcecchi

Posted

Maybe that is how they can stay in business 

• flagislanddan

Posted

Fishing Report from Flag Island Resort Lake of the Woods, Northwest Angle 9/25/16

Happy Fall!

On the Minnesota side fishing has been great around Soldier’s and Mergan’s Point. Most points have been producing fish as well as bays due to shiners moving into the bays. Raps and spinners have been successful as well as 3/8 ounce jigs with the jig bite turning back on. Shiners, crawlers and fatheads have all been attracting the fish. The magic depth has been between 8 and 18 feet. The duck and goose opener has been successful with many resident birds still around we have not seen any signs of northern birds in the area. There have been many Woodducks and Mallards around.

Over on the Ontario side the Walleye bite has been great and the Crappies are picking up. Anglers have been targeting fall spots and jigging in 18-28 feet of water. Emerald shiners are on the move to spawn so watch for them in channels and bays with creeks. The water temp is cooling down and is approximately at 62 degrees. Trolling for Muskies in 10-18 feet has also been good.

The leaves are starting to change colors and there is definitely a chill in the air but, there is still plenty of time to get in on some wonderful fall fishing. The best part about fall fishing is some of the great wildlife you get to see out and about. Also, it is a good time to start thinking about your winter ice fishing trip, we would love to have you as our guest!

Until next week, good luck fishing!

Guides Dan Schmidt, Jeremy Glessing and Devin Rau

Flag Island Resort

218-223-8011

14352408_10154027624047635_3217819021999145477_o.jpg

14372283_10154027624017635_7564426901939642848_o.jpg

14463040_10154032392587635_7055875993614459489_n.jpg

• flagislanddan

Posted

Fishing Report from Flag Island Resort Lake of the Woods, Northwest Angle 9/26/16

Happy Fall!

On the Minnesota side fishing has been great around Soldier’s and Mergan’s Point. Most points have been producing fish as well as bays due to shiners moving into the bays. Raps and spinners have been successful as well as 3/8 ounce jigs with the jig bite turning back on. Shiners, crawlers and fatheads have all been attracting the fish. The magic depth has been between 8 and 18 feet. The duck and goose opener has been successful with many resident birds still around we have not seen any signs of northern birds in the area. There have been many Woodducks and Mallards around.

Over on the Ontario side the Walleye bite has been great and the Crappies are picking up. Anglers have been targeting fall spots and jigging in 18-28 feet of water. Emerald shiners are on the move to spawn so watch for them in channels and bays with creeks. The water temp is cooling down and is approximately at 62 degrees. Trolling for Muskies in 10-18 feet has also been good.

The leaves are starting to change colors and there is definitely a chill in the air but, there is still plenty of time to get in on some wonderful fall fishing. The best part about fall fishing is some of the great wildlife you get to see out and about. Also, it is a good time to start thinking about your winter ice fishing trip, we would love to have you as our guest!

Until next week, good luck fishing!

Guides Dan Schmidt, Jeremy Glessing and Devin Rau

Flag Island Resort

218-223-8011

14352408_10154027624047635_3217819021999145477_o.jpg

14372283_10154027624017635_7564426901939642848_o.jpg

14463040_10154032392587635_7055875993614459489_n.jpg

• perry p

Posted (edited)

Thanks Workin, Bart and especially Jim for the replies. My family really enjoys fishing on Clearwater lake.

Edited by perry p
      Misspell
    • muskie-mike

Posted

Good walleye bite on leadcore..40 walleyes in 25-28 ft of water,mid lake..None over 16 inches...

• JBMasterAngler

Posted

First time up in Brainerd in 3 years. Went to big trout on Friday, thinking it would be a guarantee (which it usually is). Nope! Not even the rock bass were hitting! Only ended up with a couple pike and a couple largemouths. The inspector at the boat launch was showing me some pics of a couple lake trout this one guy had caught a few days earlier, a 34 and 36 incher! Saturday we were going to fish gull, but it was jam packed with people! Was there a tournament going on? Ended up at a secret little lake where my wife caught bass and pike one right after the other, while I couldn't get a bite to save my life! Was good to be back up there after a 3 year absence. Hopefully I'll find the time to get up there again.

• ZachD
      750 this week only Im losing money on this but would rather have someone be able to use it than for it to just sit around. After this week I am going to winterize it and it will no longer be for sale.
    • MattL
      How is she on the sit command?  That is the basis of everything.  She needs to learn to sit still and wait until the next command.  I don't even teach my dogs "stay" because it isn't necessary if they are solid on "sit".  Every dog has the ability to be steady, it is up to you to teach them.  A lab that isn't steady in the boat is not only annoying, it is potentially dangerous with loaded guns and the potential to capsize a boat in open water.  If she knows sit but just needs some reinforcement, it may just take a couple trips where you don't even bring the gun along and let others shoot while you handle the dog.  If she's real bad, I would recommend going back to the basics. It will be tougher with an older dog versus a puppy but is definitely worth it. Check out the retriever training DVDS by Bill Hillman. They are spendy but definitely worth it.
    • easyrider25
      Looking for advice on keeping the dog focused and quiet in the duck boat.  Was out today and we shot enough ducks to keep her busy, however my dog is such a hyper hypo that it's a  little annoying.  Either whining or jumping back and forth from the front and back of the boat.  Do I just need to establish the expectation and keep on her till she finally gets it or is this how some dogs are in the boat? This is her 4th year duck hunting and she has continued to improve each season.  Overall I am happy with her work, especially with the limited amount of hunting I do.  We were out today for 3 hours, shot 8 birds and she did great on the retrieving end and is pretty much focused on the skies, but if something is not constantly dropping from them I feel like I have a screaming baby on my hands.  It's not really that bad, just very annoying.   I would just like her to sit in her spot, stare at the skies and wait for my command.  Is this to much to ask?
    • MattL
      She's up to 38 pounds at a few days short of 5 months and does not stop going 100 mph. She got exposed to a lot of feathers this weekend at duck camp. She retrieved dead ducks and geese in the yard after our hunts. The goose was a bit big so I chopped a wing off and worked with that after she picked it up and barely made it back a short distance to me. 
    • delcecchi
      Maybe that is how they can stay in business