• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Newby question

upnorth

Just starting another addiction(fly fishing) and could use some pointers. There are not too many good trout streams nearby, but there are a few designated trout lakes fairly close. Anyone care to offer some tips as far as need to have flys, techniques and what to look for on trout lakes.

I have the rod(custom built my own a 9' 5wt Rainshadow) and a reasonable real(Martin Mountain Stream) and a few flys that looked buggy from a trip to Gander Moutain. Was out for a couple hours yesterday and managed to get one hit and didn't hook up, but it was enough to know that I really have no idea of what kind of flys to use out there.

Any tips offered would be a great help.

I think when fishing lakes the first question is not "What or they eating?" but "How deep are they?" Once you've answered that, woolly buggers in black or olive are always a good bet. Gold ribbed hare's ear nymphs with a little soft hackle are good, too, as are damselfly and dragonfly nymph imitations. We're proably beyond most of the lake hatches, but Hexagenia mayflies are often lake dwellers. Smaller mayflies are often well imitated by various sizes of Adams. There are lake-dwelling caddis, too. Larger elk hair caddis often fill the bill there.

Quote:

Just starting another addiction(fly fishing)

You have no idea wink.gif

Turiprap gave some good suggestions.

My only suggestion is don't think that rod is only for trout.

There are many panfish, bass, northerns, and even walleyes that will feel left out.

If you are in duluth sometime soon, stop by the great lakes sly company. John really knows his stuff and has a lot of patterns that work great in trout lakes that i haven't seen anywhere else. I really like woolly buggers, mickey finns, and clouser minnows if the fish are a bit deeper. If the fish are less aggressive try a smaller nymph such as a PT or HE. My favorite way to fish these lakes is with dry flies. Like turitrap said, if you can hit the hex hatch right, it can be an absolute riot on the water.

I also agree with ice-shack, I got addicted to fly fishing bass this summer. Between me and my fishing parter we caught smallmouth and largemouth bass, walleye, pike, catfish, rock bass, crappies, perch, and big bull gills on our fly rods this year and it's a blast. (along with the trout)

Yeah, I can understand the other species thing. I was out on that little lake in a float tube(maiden voyage on that thing too) and it was a fun and relaxing experience. I can see another building another fly rod here in the near future, probably 7 wt.

Sounds like some kinda nymph or Wooly Buggers are the place to start with. I do appreciate the help and anyone has more to add I am all ears smile.gif

you could fish the Dark River; it's not too far North from Chisholm. The gauging station would be a great place to start.

What exactly is the gauging station? I am not a native to the Range and not sure where some things are, and that is one of them. Although I have heard of the Dark River and that it is fairly good producer.

• 2 weeks later...

upnorth,

I'll be working on a project near Side Lake over the month of Septemeber. I will be staying at the Chisholm Inn and Suites. If you're interested in meeting up some night to fish the Dark let me know. I can show you where the gauging station is as well. I'd be available Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday nights after 530pm. We could meet at the motel and go from there.

anyone else that is interested is free to join. please post interest here.

I may have to take you up on that. You do have to remember I am a total novice to fly fishing.

Quote:

remember I am a total novice to fly fishing

That's is not a big deal at all, so don't worry about it. Besides, there's some sections on the Dark where the spruce is so thick that even a pro can look like a complete numnutz out there getting tangled... shocked.gif

There's a chance I may be staying at the Park in Hibbing; it depends where there are vacancies. I'll bring my gear along next week. drop me an email and I can give you my cell#

I'll be figuring out what flies to bring along this weekend. I'll try and tie up a few extras for you so you don't have to worry about fly selection.