Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
David Frank

Trail Camera and Battery Questions

11 posts in this topic

I just purchased a moultrie game watcher 2.1 from Wal-mart for $98. I have a couple of 256MB memory cards so switching them will take only a matter of seconds so I can be in and out. Anybody have any experience with these particular cameras? Also, how long is the battery life on these and is there a place I could pick up a rechargeable 6V Battery?

Thank You,

Dave

I got a few 6v batteries from Cabelas and they have been lasting pretty long. When I went out to check the cameras the lowest one was at 88% after two weeks of being out their.

Also, Do you use the IR Aiming setting or leave it off? I don't fully understand what this setting is all about since there is a lazer for aiming the unit.

Thanks Again,

Dave

I have the Cabela's Moultrie 4.1MP and the IR aim is for seeing how far out it will pick up movement when you mount it. Mine will flash a red LED light when it picks up movement on IR. It will only be on when you toggle it on but then once you go into active pic taking mode the IR aim is turned off by the unit.

how do you go into active pic taking mode? does the camera do this automatically? Sorry to ask such dumb questions but this is my first experience with any sort of trail scouting camera.

Thank You for the input... it is all appreciated.

Dave

I have the Moultrie 200 and I really like it. I did not have to change the settings on the camera. The laser setting was fine on my camera.

I did purchase a couple of memory cards and a couple of rechargable batteries. That seems to work well. They seem to last a long time as long as it is not too cold.

Good luck with it. It can be a little goofy at times butt I think you will like it.

On my Moultrie 100, it has a three way switch, either Active (on), Off, or Aim. Once you're done Aiming, switch it over to ON. Actually, I don't bother to use the Aim, I just eyeball where its pointing.

One thing to be careful on is that when I switch to ON, the mode goes to 'Settings'. It won't take pictures that way!!! Change the mode to automatic, then shut it up.

Set your camera up in your garage or yard for a few days and play with it. The Moultrie is actually pretty easy to use and has good directions.

Have fun, you have now joined the Trail Camera Addicted club!!! Stay away from BLB, he'll have you buying 2-3 more cameras!!! smile.gif

When they are cold they DIE fast.

at approximately what temp. do the batteries begin to drain fast? I don't know how much I will need to use mine once it is freezing cold out. I just want an idea of what is around before season starts.

I just picked up a Cuddyback dig. today and hope to put it out next week. Any tips for a complete trail camera newbie?

David --

I looked back and it seemed that the further we got into October the more they would drain. I would say that when temps get into the 40s you will see a big difference.

Just exchanged batteries last night. It was out there for about two weeks and it was down to 70 percent.

One thing to remember is when they get down to 70 percent they will die fast -- I would say I only had a couple of days left.

Hope this helps.

Hitman

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• she's getting big

• delcecchi

Posted

Crescent and south switch have good burgers too, and I wouldn't have to drive so far. 

• monstermoose78

Posted

No internet in the field today. Had a group sky busting keeping birds out of anyone's range. Riverrat and I got buzzed by teal a few time and a pair of woodies scooted through. Should have had a shoveler and some woodies. The bugs were so bad I lost 4 pints of blood. 

Now to the fun parts Finn was jumping woodcock son the fields on our way out. Finn did good but does not like no action. After leaving the refuge I checked my dads pond. O yeah there was a woodie sitting on the log bang!! No finn needs to do his job.

IMG_0607.JPG

IMG_0610.JPG

IMG_0612.JPG

Finn did good he got it and brought it back to me!! Way to go Finn. 

• Lindy came along on our trip to Western MN for duck opener. The guys that came out Thursday to start scouting had a field lined up with alot of geese but they got busted off the roost early in a huge flock and didn't commit. We ended up with only 2 birds today.  She had to stay back in her crate during the hunt but got to play with a wing afterwards. 

IMG_20160924_110720925.jpg

IMG_20160924_104852333_HDR.jpg

1 person likes this
    • Cliff Wagenbach

Posted

Great burgers at the Black Bear Cafe just South of Tower at any time!

Great price on Thursdays (burger day at around $3.50)!

Cliff

• dairyman

Posted (edited)

what size screen does your new unit have----------------I have a 5 inch helix with side imaging and for me it worthless-------------------the screen is TOO small to see whats going on.  I wouldn't buy any unit that didn't have at least a 7 inch screen.  What unit is your new one??

Edited by dairyman
    • dairyman

Posted

I've got a powerdrive also...............my unit would run fine out of water,in water no way.  The prop would barely turn.  I ended up replacing the board the unit and it runs like champ now.  I had it to a dealer and they told me there was nothing wrong with it----------but ,they only bench tested it and did not do a tank test

• DRAGFOOT

Posted

Fished Thursday in 30 feet out of the gap and did very well. Couple of slots and a couple of dinks but mostly nice keeper size fish, had to quit early in the day because we had all our fish. Should only get better from here on out I would think. 

• RoosterMan

Posted

Feels like fall this morning!  I was yesterday morning with my son. We did some trolling and it was really good.  I think I might try to get the jigging rods out today and give that a go.  First headed to see the wolves with the kids.  

• monstermoose78

Posted

Wide awake!!! So excited I am for Finn's first duck opener!!! He is snoring like a chain saw.  I will post from the field

• ZachD
      she's getting big
    • delcecchi
      Crescent and south switch have good burgers too, and I wouldn't have to drive so far. 
    • monstermoose78
      No internet in the field today. Had a group sky busting keeping birds out of anyone's range. Riverrat and I got buzzed by teal a few time and a pair of woodies scooted through. Should have had a shoveler and some woodies. The bugs were so bad I lost 4 pints of blood.  Now to the fun parts Finn was jumping woodcock son the fields on our way out. Finn did good but does not like no action. After leaving the refuge I checked my dads pond. O yeah there was a woodie sitting on the log bang!! No finn needs to do his job. Finn did good he got it and brought it back to me!! Way to go Finn. 
    • MattL
      Lindy came along on our trip to Western MN for duck opener. The guys that came out Thursday to start scouting had a field lined up with alot of geese but they got busted off the roost early in a huge flock and didn't commit. We ended up with only 2 birds today.  She had to stay back in her crate during the hunt but got to play with a wing afterwards.     
    • Cliff Wagenbach
      Great burgers at the Black Bear Cafe just South of Tower at any time! Great price on Thursdays (burger day at around $3.50)! Cliff