Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
David Frank

Trail Camera and Battery Questions

David Frank

I just purchased a moultrie game watcher 2.1 from Wal-mart for $98. I have a couple of 256MB memory cards so switching them will take only a matter of seconds so I can be in and out. Anybody have any experience with these particular cameras? Also, how long is the battery life on these and is there a place I could pick up a rechargeable 6V Battery?

Thank You,

Dave

xedge2002

I got a few 6v batteries from Cabelas and they have been lasting pretty long. When I went out to check the cameras the lowest one was at 88% after two weeks of being out their.

David Frank

Also, Do you use the IR Aiming setting or leave it off? I don't fully understand what this setting is all about since there is a lazer for aiming the unit.

Thanks Again,

Dave

xedge2002

I have the Cabela's Moultrie 4.1MP and the IR aim is for seeing how far out it will pick up movement when you mount it. Mine will flash a red LED light when it picks up movement on IR. It will only be on when you toggle it on but then once you go into active pic taking mode the IR aim is turned off by the unit.

David Frank

how do you go into active pic taking mode? does the camera do this automatically? Sorry to ask such dumb questions but this is my first experience with any sort of trail scouting camera.

Thank You for the input... it is all appreciated.

Dave

Dahitman44

I have the Moultrie 200 and I really like it. I did not have to change the settings on the camera. The laser setting was fine on my camera.

I did purchase a couple of memory cards and a couple of rechargable batteries. That seems to work well. They seem to last a long time as long as it is not too cold.

Good luck with it. It can be a little goofy at times butt I think you will like it.

BLACKJACK

On my Moultrie 100, it has a three way switch, either Active (on), Off, or Aim. Once you're done Aiming, switch it over to ON. Actually, I don't bother to use the Aim, I just eyeball where its pointing.

One thing to be careful on is that when I switch to ON, the mode goes to 'Settings'. It won't take pictures that way!!! Change the mode to automatic, then shut it up.

Set your camera up in your garage or yard for a few days and play with it. The Moultrie is actually pretty easy to use and has good directions.

Have fun, you have now joined the Trail Camera Addicted club!!! Stay away from BLB, he'll have you buying 2-3 more cameras!!! smile.gif

Dahitman44

When they are cold they DIE fast.

David Frank

at approximately what temp. do the batteries begin to drain fast? I don't know how much I will need to use mine once it is freezing cold out. I just want an idea of what is around before season starts.

MNmikew

I just picked up a Cuddyback dig. today and hope to put it out next week. Any tips for a complete trail camera newbie?

Dahitman44

David --

I looked back and it seemed that the further we got into October the more they would drain. I would say that when temps get into the 40s you will see a big difference.

Just exchanged batteries last night. It was out there for about two weeks and it was down to 70 percent.

One thing to remember is when they get down to 70 percent they will die fast -- I would say I only had a couple of days left.

Hope this helps.

Hitman