• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anchor Questions

Scotteye

Question

1). Any ideas on keeping anchors/rope organized in a boat? This may seem like a silly question, but I usually only anchor in the spring/late fall when conditions are severe, and by the end of the day my boat, rope, and anchors are a complete disaster.

2). What brand/model is the best anchor. I have a very large water spike, and I'm not pleased. I river & lake fish, so I would be looking for an all-a-round anchor (1850 crestliner).

Any ideas and/or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

3 answers to this question

A plastic milk crate or small rubbermaid tub are both good ways to store anchor rope. Pull the rope in and right into the crate so it doesn't get tangled all over the place on the floor.

As far as anchors are concerned, I think it is hard to beat a Richter Anchor.

Alot of guys know the little tips that help you anchor better but having a short chain between your anchor and anchor rope is probably the most important. A 3-4' length of chain holds the bottom and acts as a shock absorber when waves are bouncing your boat and pulling on your anchor. Also remember the aspect ratio of 3:1. Approximately 3' of anchor rope for every foot of depth should be let out to allow your anchor to lay over and properly grab bottom.

I use an electric cord tie up. $.99 at any where. They work will. It's the two bar style with the side hooks.

Mike

I started tieng my rope up in a daisy chain and it works good. No tangles and saves a lot of room. I guess electritions use them for their many many extension cords.