Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SledNeck

First Time on Kab...PHOTOS

13 posts in this topic

20 lbs.

Kab8.jpg

Kab9.jpg

10lbs.

Kab6.jpg

5 Lbs. (my 8 year old's biggest to date)

kab4-1.jpg

Pike all caught on topwater. Walleye caught on Jointed Floating Rapala.

We caught about 12 pike all good size...Missed TONS. But sadly only about 6 or 7 bass. Any tips for bass? Seems our best luck with pike was finding rocks and points out in deeper water starting from str8 out from Wooden Frog landing and the furthest east was North Deer Point Island (I think). Any tips for bass? Is the bass and Pike fishing better further east than I went? I tryed fishing weedlines South of Moxie Island but we didnt get any there. I'd appreciate some good bass and pike tips (always catch and release only!)

SledNeck, It looks like you had a successful trip to Kab. Everyone thinks you have to go all the way across the lake east or west to catch more fish not the case. Thier are smallies,northerns,walleye scattered everywhere on Kab. All it takes is a little time of fishing and trying new areas. No need to travel long distances. laugh.gif

Round 2 starts tomorrow. If you see this boat with a guy, chick and a kid...holla at me.

Staying at a place from sun-mon that rhymes with "Handy Joint."

hot7.jpg

Caught everything on Top Water again. Worked spots for 10 minutes at a time and moved (just like muskie fishing).

15 lber.

12 lber.

I think we caught about 20 pike all weekend. Not close to a slaugter by any means, but I am learning the lake. Might even go next weekend.

kaba5.jpg

kabar.jpg

I have stayed at handy joint. It was pouring rain and we made the trip up so instead of tent camping we stayed at handy joint. WE used to have a cabin on Kab back in the 70's to early 1980s on Bittersweet island. My fondest memories as a child were up there. I know the pike can get pretty big up there. I see no info on the saugars but we used to catch them on Kab

Hey John,

Very nice!!

Thanks Joe!

Ive got the rods and shotgun sitting on the table and I am trying to make some serious decisions for this weekend.

Whats a guy to do?

That's an easy one,,, fish in early mornin, hunt all afternoon, then back to the lake!

Any early season Northern tips on Kab?

Quote:

When we used to have a cabin on Kab, we used to see pike in the spring, in the morning, resting near the surface. We ended up hitting 2 by mistake. Now when I go up, I will get up early, and cast floating raps off shallow points or near reeds. The Grassy Islands has been a good pike producer early with floating raps. It's a blast watching those green torpedos hit those floating raps with hate and fury. Oh, and I usually fish on the side that the sun shines most on. I haven't caught any real trophies this way but numbers and size enough for eating. Try also the southeast bar on Bittersweet if the water isn't too low. There is a beaver lodge on the land and reeds that come into the water and extend about 50'. Early, shallow, floating, and sun side. That's whats worked for me, anyways

Quote:

Quote:

When we used to have a cabin on Kab, we used to see pike in the spring, in the morning, resting near the surface. We ended up hitting 2 by mistake. Now when I go up, I will get up early, and cast floating raps off shallow points or near reeds. The Grassy Islands has been a good pike producer early with floating raps. It's a blast watching those green torpedos hit those floating raps with hate and fury. Oh, and I usually fish on the side that the sun shines most on. I haven't caught any real trophies this way but numbers and size enough for eating. Try also the southeast bar on Bittersweet if the water isn't too low. There is a beaver lodge on the land and reeds that come into the water and extend about 50'. Early, shallow, floating, and sun side. That's whats worked for me, anyways

Thanks for the tips. Im after the monsters. I guess I will try off the rocks and the places you said with some husky jerks and maybe some jointed rapalas. Maybe mix in a few spinner baits too.

How is the opening weekend for Northern action? Slow ? Fast? ....worth the hour drive?