• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

CAMP RIPLEY

LIVE4FISH

No I havnt heard anything yet, i am excited to know if i get in, when do they let you know if you get in??

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

just after labor day it seems to me

I was told that the DNR will be doing the drawing early this week and the results will be made available after labor day on the website and mailed out the end of that week. Cant wait to find out myself!!! Its always a fun hunt!

I just recieved My letter from the DNR today in the mail and our group was drawn for the first hunt 19 and 20th.... cant wait gonna be a blast.... grin.gifgrin.gif

Chalk another one up for the Camp Ripley team grin.gif I just got comfirmation that my group of 4 will be headed to the second hunt this year!

I also found out that my buddies girlfriends dad works at Camp Ripley. Not quite sure what he does there, but heard he might know where a few LARGE bucks roam. The news is only getting better and better smile.gif

My group of 3 will be going the first hunt as well.

Just got mine in the Mail!! It will be my first time going, cant wait, heard a lot about it.

Just a question to all of you veterans who have made it to camp ripley before, on the morning of the first hunt, how long do you scout for a spot until you are satisfied, or how long do you drive. What time by then are you in your stand 9 o'clock. it seems that the first morning hunt is kind of shot because you are finding a place and then you have to set up a stand. Do you just see deer running around from everybody pushing deer all day?? I cant wait until the time comes!

This will be my 3rd year for the 2nd hunt in Ripley and each year we try out a new area and learn more about it. Depending on the # of hunters in the area you will be hunting, the deer will probably be pushed around pretty good. Being in the stand right around day light is probably a good thing.

If we don't see anything in the a.m, we'll pack up and drive around to scout new areas to hunt.

Check the web site its easy laugh.gif

I have a few hunts under my belt now and I would get your butt in a tree as soon as you can and wait. Scout the first morning is not going to do you much good the deer will be running around. Find a trail and sit and wait and then if you dont see anything try to scout but you will be doing it with about every one else. I like to pick and area on the map before the season and then get in the woods and wait. I do not have a big buck from ripley but i did get a nice one and someother people tossed in their truck. I was only 5 minutes behind this deer so sad to take someone else deer. If you do get a big one and it goes out of sight i would be on it like glue.

Yeah i can see your point, My dad told me when he went about 10yrs ago, if you shot your deer and it went out of sight, somebody else might just tag it. When you look at the map and see the roads, are there a lot more logging roads too that kind of spiderweb through out the land?

• 2 weeks later...

I will be there first hunt as well. Was there two years ago and boy am I pumped. What a blast and you have a good shot at seeing some trophy's. Looking forward to it. Look at the map, and try to figure out a spot B4 you go. I sure will be. PUMPED!!! Good Luck to all that are going.

Doesn't one of the associations have a booth near the gate that a guy can pick up a map of the area? I never take the time to stop in during the day, so does anyone know how you can get a detailed map of Ripley?

I did not get drawn this year, but a little spot... on top of Gettysburg hill. You have to take some tank trails to get there and can be hard to find in the am or you can walk straight up (I did that at first) but you will get action and some nice bucks are always up there.

I got drawn for the first hunt and will be going for the first year. I will be pumped come October. I heard there are lots of deer and lots of area to roam. You can pick up a good map online somewhere I will post the link when I find it.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st
    • leech~~
      As I get older it's really not just about sending bullets down range.  Some of it's just the workmanship of the gun and the wow factor. The other two guns I have really wanted which I'll never have now because of their price, is a 8mm Jap Nambu and 9mm German Luger.   Just thought they always looked cool!  
    • jim curlee
      I had a guy hit me with a lightly used 1969 BAR, he wanted $1650 with an older Leupold scope. More than I think they are worth, I made an offer, he declined end of story.   You know if you look at the old brochures, a grade II BAR sold for $250 in the late 60s, $1650 would be a good return on your investment.    Why would anybody want a 50 year old gun, they are heavy, have wood stocks, and blued metal.  I guess mainly to keep their gun safes glued to the floor. lol   You can probably buy a stainless rifle that you never have to clean, with a synthetic stock you never have to refinish, is as light as a feather, and for half as much money, perfect.   I'm too old for a youth gun, although I've shrunk enough that it would probably fit. lol   No Ruger 10/44s.   Jim      

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.