Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
crdsrob

Fishing report

5 posts in this topic

I'm hoping to make it up to Red next week. I was wondering how the fishing was. I'm probably going to fish primarily for Northerns, but will definitely take some time to fish walleyes. Are the crappies still slow?

Sounds like there has been some good success with pike. The walleye fishing has been good trolling with little joe type spinners. I had a couple of fishermen land 3 crappie on the south cribs last week but you have to fish them as if you were ice fishing.I have some guys out there today fishing for pike and we will see how they do.

Had some folks up to Red going for the eyes and taking some time for the pike on the calmer days..yesterday (Thursday) was a little wicked with winds at 17 mph and gusts to 25 made it a little rough fishing. Folks have been coming back with the two walleyes each doing a slow troll with a spinner tipped with a leech. For the pike, the best results our guests have had has been using daredevils. Hoping to get some time in on Red tomorrow and troll for some monsters, have had luck in the past using a white bucktail so will start off with that. Good luck to you and if you head up there let us know how you did!

Thanks for the reply. Went up last week with my 10 year old. He caught a nice 40 incher. You should have seen how big his eyes got when the gator came to the surface at the side of the boat. I could probably not fish another day this year and be satisfied after seeing that. Pretty cool. He caught a nice fish and I got to teach him about CNR. I doubt he'll forget that day for a long time. I know I won't. On a side note, I caught 39 incher, but it was by far the fattest northern I've seen taken from the lake. The gators are definitely healthy!

I am glad to hear that you are passing on CNR! There are just to many people around that have not figured out that our fisheries can be harmed. Sounds like you had a good time and great job to your son for landning a fish like that.