Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Minnesota Fishing Report Clubs - ONLY 20 FREE MEMBERSHIPS Per Area - Join Today - FREE   03/08/2018

Fishing Minnesota has added a new menu item (see above) called Fishing Report Clubs. It's a way to keep the really good fishing reports coming and being shared only with those who also provide detailed fishing reports. We will only approve new members who request to join if they have already posted a recent fishing report in the area forum, associated with the Fishing Report Club area  you want to join. Initially we are going to limit the number of regular memberships, in the Fishing Report Clubs, to the top 20 members in each Club, to those with the best frequency and quality fishing reports provided in the club and less so in the regular fishing report forum open to all members. The higher quality fishing report reserved for the club of course. If  you want see detailed fishing reports/tips  around your area and will share your detailed fishing report as soon as you join, then Join Now! Some of the clubs are starting to fill fast. Use the Fishing Reports Club link in the Menu above (after you've posted a fishing report in the regular area forum) and request to Join.

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  

Fall Lake Entry Point Report

Took my wife, Molly, into the BWCA last week, the first time she'd been in the wilderness since before our first kid, 1998. I thought I'd go easy on her & take portage wheels up the four-mile portage into Ella Hall Lake for a three-night stay. Ha!

I decided to rent portage wheels, which were nothing like the lightweight, fold-up aluminum ones I saw in Twin Cities stores. This one had what looked to be a full-sized truck axle with rock-hard, sixty-year old lumber on top & weighed, well, a lot. Getting to the landing, I found it wouldn't fit in the the canoe without sticking waaaaaay up over the gunwales. Considering my wife isn't an experienced canoeist, I decided to leave it in the Jeep & hump the canoe for the nearly two miles to Ella Hall. I've only had one map problem in all my years going into the BWCA, & lo & behold, I have two errors on the map in the span of a couple of hours while trying to guide my wife (really, honey, I can read maps!) - the four-mile portage being about a half-mile off where the map stated, & a portage on four-mile that wasn't on the map leading us into the wrong lake. Good thing I had a compass!

Suffice to say my 37-year old shoulders were tired by the time we reached the lake. If I hadn't gotten off my *ss a few years ago & started working out, I don't think I would have made it intact.

Anyhow, enough gobble about the travel. The fishing on Ella Hall was good. Not a numbers lake for us, but the pike were respectable & the smallies good-sized. Our first smallie came in a shallow, weedy bay. My wife hates weeds, so I tossed her a Jitterbug so she could fish topwater. A few casts later, explosion! And the fight was on. My wife's a competent fisherman, but the smallie was more than she knew how to deal with - rod bent double, shaking it's head violently, peeling off line, juking under the boat. After a couple of minutes she eased it up next to the canoe & I grabbed it - an 18" fish! Her biggest bass ever. She sat & shook for a couple of minutes afterwards. Fun to watch!

I managed to top her the next day out in front of our campsite with a 19" smallie, but we couldn't find the elusive 20" fish.

All in all a fantastic trip, even with the unexpectedly long carry & the beaver dam built across the portage. The weather cooperated (thunderboomers at night, party sunny during the day), there was never more than one other party on the lake, & the fish cooperated. In two days we caught plenty of fish, with the largest the 19" smallie & a 30" pike. More than anything, it was nice to get out of the Cities, relax in the canoe, throw some baits, & spend a couple of days with my favorite wife!