• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Raingear

BAIT956

Question

I'm in the market for some new raingear after a bad experience in Canada. I did a search here on the subject and read all the old posts.

Anything new under the sun that I should know? I'm prepared to buy fairly high quality, without of course, spending a fortune.

I would use the gear nearly exclusively for summer season fishing.

Thanks in advance for the help.

13 answers to this question

Gander Mountain is having a great sale on rain gear now. Up to 50% off.

You can go 2 ways if you want light and comfortable go with Frog Toggs there about a hundred and will keep you relatively dry in most conditions, or get a Guide Series type product that will keep you warm and dry in any type of weather conditions but will cost a little more....I recommend both..... grin.gif

Im not a big frog tog guy. The new stuff looks a bit better but those that I know who had them wound up ripping them at the seems. The Gander gear will be about $60 for bibs and $75 or so with the sale they have now. I could be off by a few bucks either way. The Cabalas Guide Wera is great stuff but spendy. Well worth it because it lasts.

Look for something with ventilation on the jacket and a good stand up collar and good fitting hood that sticks out a bit from your face. For bibs find some with leg zipers that go at least to your mid thigh and all the way to your hip is even better. Most rain gear gets ripped taking legs in and out.

Quote:

Most rain gear gets ripped taking legs in and out.

Well Steve if your boots were'nt 22.5 inches long you probably would'nt have that problem!!! grin.gif

Cabelas guidewear is THE REAL DEAL, 5 seasons on the set I have now and still going strong as day 1 with no loss of waterproof integrity. Possibly the best investment I've ever made for fishin, I wear mine thruout the seasons, on the ice and openwater and they've held up great.

fiskyknut

I've also heard nothing but good things about the Cabela's Guide Wear, but my wife still won't let me spend that much on rain gear! tongue.gif

Right now I have the Rainy River Packable Rain gear. Bibs and Jacket. I have had them for a couple of years now and can't complain, they have worked great so far and haven't had any issues with ripping. I can't remember the price, but I'm sure it was well below $100 @ Cabela's. If you want something light, breathable and something that packs nice...I would recommend the Rainy River Packable Rain Gear. If you want one of the better all around suits, Spring, summer, fall...Get the Cabela's Guide Wear.

I personally like the FrogTogs. I have had a pair for about three years now. Picked them up for about $70. They keep me very dry, however as previosly stated are not the most durable. Mine are getting pretty warn. It all depends on what you do. I would definatly reccomend the FrogTogs as raingear to keep in the boat for a rainy day. The small pack size is real nice. I would not reccomend them for a trip to the BDubs portaging through brush in the rain. I put them on the level of gor-tex less the durability. I wen ton a camping trip to Whiteface resourvior a couple of years ago where it rained profusely the whole weekend, I was nice and dry. For the money they are pretty good. It is what it is.

Some times I just wear my waders wink.gif

Fisky my size 15 Ice Kings are a bugger to get in and out of the rain gear in the spring on the Rainy River. grin.gif

Thats why my rain gear has zippers to the hip.

Those eyes still going up at your place? E-mail me I may have to run up for a few days next week.

Well that crazy bite BIG fish bite end of July first part of August off of a certain set of rocks has wained, but a different set of X's and Z's has seen some good action.....Good numbers of fish, plenty of midtwenties, just not the numbers of 28+ers going crazy now.

I have a set of Stearns "Walleye Hunter" rain gear. After 3 years they still are holding up well. I believe they were in the $150 range.

Personally, I think Frog Togs are ugly.

Quote:

Personally, I think Frog Togs are ugly.

You don't like an all black rain suit?

Thanks for the input fellas. Looks like Guide Gear got most of the votes.

Since I'm way past portaging and tromping through the bush, that's not an issue for me. I'm looking lightweight, durable.

I'm going down next in couple of weeks to watch the Twins pound the Tigers and will make the pilgramage to Cabelas.

I finally stopped at Cabelas and got the Guide Gear. You guys were right about the price, but I just had to have it. My girlfriend is now teasing me about standing out on the dock wishing for rain.

Hope I have a great long term investmant. Thanks for the advice guys.

Oh yeah, we whupped up on the Tigers too, 2-1. Go Twins and Boof Bonser. Great day all around.