Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
midwesthunter

Arial Photos?

14 posts in this topic

You could try google earth. Some areas are good and some areas are only OK. It would be something to try and the price is right for it. You can download it from google.

Check your county website, and look around on their GIS if they have one. Often times you can look at all the properties within the county with aerial photos.

To answer your question:

I think most of the web sites use basically the same photos, and unfortunately, I haven't seen any newer ones either.

Not to steal your thread, but does anyone fly-over thier hunting spots and take thier own photos? I have thought about it...

Forgot,

the MN DNR has some airphotos online from 1998 to 2005, depending upon the area. They update the older areas from time to time.

Hope ADMIN doesn't mind the link

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/airphotos/search.html

a cool thing to check out is on the DNR site, you can look at air photos from the '30s and '50s. click on free maps on the home page and then on LandView

A while back I was looking for aerial photo's in the Cass Lake area. I found a website I liked. www.terraserver.com.

Wallmounter is right-on in finding newer photos.

Color orthophotos were flown for the southern half of Minnesota for the 2003 season, and for the northern half during the 2004 season. Some areas that were incomplete, or had errors were reflown in 2004-2005 I believe.

This is a major improvement over the previous orthos (black and white), and to have it served out for the state of MN, free through the LMIC site is nothing short of a major accomplishment. Furthermore, we're lucky in MN compared to many of the states surrounding us, and nationwide.

For newer photos than the FSA Color Orthophotos for 2003-2004, your availability will be slim at best, and dependent upon a county, local, or private entity's ability to purchase, then provide them free of charge. This is most likely for the 7-county metro, or other counties with rapidly developing suburbs. Several counties in the metro provide these on their own sites, via the county-main website.

Good luck, and let us know what you find!

Joel

I found a pretty good link on the Remington website.

I couldn't tell you the exact year (I think they have several options) but check out terraserver.com. You can locate by zip code or latitude and longitude. Hope this helps.

I bought some newer(2005) aerial photos last year from the USDA and their Aerial Photography Field Office (APFO). It was for Itasca county but it looks like on their website they had most of the other counties for 2005 as well. They have a list by state on their site with what is available.

You did have to pay for these but they were really good and provided lots of detail. Here is their website:APFO Home. They were the most up to date pics that I could find.

I was watching some pictures on Google Earth and they udpated them to last year, I believe the whole earth, since I even saw some pics of my parent's house in Italy that has the latest remodeling.

Try the new MSN Live local, it has some AMAZING hi res photos, especially in the twin cities area. Try the "Birds Eye View" feature.