Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Maashkinoozhe

Ol' Miss Palisade/Jacobson area question

6 posts in this topic

I'm going canoeing this weekend somewhere between Jacobson and Palisade. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the predominant species are? I heard Northern, Smallies and Walleyes - is this right? Also what other species might there be(i.e panfish or "under-utilized" species)?

Thanks!

Dave D.

I grew up fishing the 'Sippi around the Palisade area. I've never quite gotten to Jacobson, but around Palisade you are correct about the species. More pike than anything, but lots of walleyes and smallies too. If you use nightcrawlers, you won't be able to keep the suckers & redhorse off your hook. I haven't found too many panfish in the area, but that doesn't mean they aren't there. Good luck, and let us know how you do!

I am headed up to Palisade this weekend too. I'll be fishing it Friday and Saturday. The smallies are eyes can be very good. I hope this rain doesn't mess it up too much. I'll be in an old silver alumacraft with a Johnson tiller. I heard that crawlers and raps were working well last weekend. It should be a blast.

Thanks for the info, you guys! I can sort out my tackle boxes now. I'm arriving Sat, leaving Sun. I'll be one of two in a green Old Town Canoe, toughguy. Hopefully, the weather's good.

Dave D.

What a weekend!! Awesome weather!! We pounded the smallies. A few nice eyes, some northerns, rockbass, redhorse, and suckers. You gotta love the variety you can catch while fishing the river.

Yeah, weather was perfect! I had a little bad luck, though - Had 3 hefty smallies spit the hook out on me. Caught one and 3 small northerns. My friend lost a good size walleye, but pulled in a 21 incher. Nice stretch of the river for a paddle! Thanks again for the tips! I'm sure I'll be back there.

Dave D.