• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

GPS Info

mylineswet

Question

I am thinking about purchasing a hand held GPS unit with the lake maps chip. I was wondering peoples thoughts on what they have and how they like them. Any info would be great as I am a novice in the GPS world.

Thanks in advance.

17 answers to this question

I have a magellan meridian color. One thing I would make sure you get is a color screen. The thing I don't like about mine is that the lake software is just loaded onto the chip, and you can't interact with the PC with lake contours and stuff, you are limited to viewing it on the GPS itself. But otherwise it is great, good detail, good color, very durrable and it Floats! I think that is a must have with a GPS on my boat.

If you plan on using it strictly for fishing, you may want to go with one designed for fish. Mine is desgined for multipurpose. I also have the softwear for turn by turn directions. Love that!

So it really depends how you plan on using it to better gage what you should purchase for a GPS. IMO

OH and check out all the stuff you can get for accessories before purchasing too. Make sure you can get enough cool stuff to keep you satisfied for a while. I think my next GPS will be a lowrance. Or maybe even a fish finder / gps combo. Then have my hand held for everything else. We will see...

I have the Ifinder H20 with the Lakemaster chip and like it a lot. Once you use it a few times on some tricky structure, you'll feel lost without it. Seems like the general consensus on this site is to get this set up.

I bought a h2oc last winter, I like it but the only instructions you have are the manual. What I wish Lowrance had, was a cd version with demonstrations. Of course you can practice by using the gps, but the drawback with h2oc is you burn through the batts. in less than 2hrs. So you sit in the truck, which is boring and kind of looks wierd. So if a novice, I would suggest getting one with good operation instructions. CD versions would be a big seller. I don't know if this is the kind of help your looking for, but, just a thought.

Lowrance does have an H2O emulator on their website that you can download for free which allows you to play with the GPS without using batteries.

I have the Lowrance ifinder Expedition with lakemaster MN chip. This unit so far is awesome, I originally bought an H20C but returned it next day for the expedition. I have had good luck with it and battery life seems to be no issue, I just replaced my first set of batteries after 10+ hours. The ifinders come with a vehicle plug in. I use my GPS for fishing, ATV'ing and always keep it in the truck when travelling.

I got mine at Cabela's in the bargain cave, saved $100 off of new. It was well worth the cash for the unit.

Don't get me wrong, I like mine. I also have the lakemaster chip, but I know there are many options to use that I probably won't learn, by trying to figure out myself.

I have the Lowrance H2OC and the Navionics Premium North Chip. Being in Duluth/Superior Lakmeaster didnt cover a lot of our up north lakes. I like the unit a lot but hate that it eats batteries up like mad.

Very easy to use and if I have time to play around with it I use the cig lighter adaptor and mess with it in my truck.

I use it in the boat to store ice fishing spots.

What was the reason for returning the H2OC?

To all- Is it an issue to talk about color vs. black and white?

After you buy the GPS what accessories besides the lakemaster chip should I think about getting?

My main use for this unit will be fishing, but I will also use it once in a while for navigation possibly.

I got the H2O. Not the color model. I get 10 hours on the batteries and 8 hours or rechargable batteries. Must be the color part that sucks the batteries down. I notice that on my new cell phone being color instead of black and white I have to use the back light to read it. With my H2O I only use back light when it is dark out. I have the navonics chip and I love it. Every lake I have fished has the map. I agree that it takes awhile to get used to it but I used mine for a couple of days while reading the manual and got pretty much used to it. The hardest part was figuring out the navonics chip but now it is a piece of cake.

For all that want to play with the lowrance products go to the Lowrance web site and download the emulator like previously mentioned. this covers fishfinders as well as gps. They are just like using the real thing only you sit in front of the computer. granted you have to deal with the info they give you to play with, but when you get your own in your hand its a piece of cake to get started!

I must be in the minority because I'll be the first on this thread to have something other than a Lowrance product. Mine is a Garmin Rino120 with the Minnesota Lakemaster maps downloaded. I don't go fishing without it. The accuracy is uncanny and I really like it.

I have thought that maybe a color model would be nice and a little larger screen but for the price, I'll stay with my 120.

If money was no option and I was to upgrade I would go to a GPSMap76C which has a much larger screen and color.

Bob

Your not alone Bobo, I have a magellan! I think I am more of a minority than you!

fishing4life

Your not alone. I have had a magellan meridian marine for years. I'm just in the process of upgrading to the Lowrance Expedition! Mainly to use the lake maps chips i have purchased for my boat finder/gps lowrance LCX20c

they all will do the basics and necessities but the newer ones have more sat channels 12 versus 16 in this case.and some extra bells and whistles! I believe if you use a lowrance in the boat it makes things handier if your handheld is a lowrance. both will use the same mapping programs and that makes it easy to transfer from on too the other!!

There was no real "reason" for returning the H20C, I picked it up one day in rogers in the bargain cave on my way to rochester for work and was playing with it and decided for the extra $30 I wanted the few extra features so i called the owatonna store and they had 2 expeditions in the bargain cave that were only $15 more than I paid o I used it for an excuse 2 go to a second cabelas in 2 days smile.gif

I liked the options on the expedition for the MP3, Electronic compass, and Barometer. I also liked the black housing rathr than the blue housing.

As for extras I got the lakemaster chip an extra VPC and a RAM handlebar mount for my ATV.

I returned the H2OC because it is very difficult to view in direct or indirect sunlight. In low light the color is awesome, but I use it primarily in an open boat. I compared the H2OC to the H2O side-by-side and kept the black and white one.