Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Husky28

Zumbro River & Labor Day Weekend

11 posts in this topic

What can I expect for crowds? Bringing the family up to my sister's in Pine Island and thought we would grab the canoes and tubes for a day on the water... Any other recommendations? Needs to have smallies! smile.gif

Husky, last weekend wasn't that busy with traffic, but there was some. That didn't seem to matter too much. Most of the time the traffic is going down the middle of the river. Well, most of the smallies come off the rock lined shores.

Jigs and plastics were the ticket. Crawlers work well to but they are more work trying to keep them cool and constantly rebaiting. Messy too.

Good luck and let us know how you did eh?

Thanks Dan. Will definitely post the results. Which stretches would you recommend? I'll have quite a few kids along... smile.gif

Well, if you have a lot of time I'd say the green bridge to the Falls. If you want a shorter trip then the Falls to Hammond.

I'm a little concerned about the thought of floating in a tube this late in the year. The water temps have come down quite a bit. Still ok for wading but a four hour float in an inner tube might be too chilly.

Just a reminder, the smallies are C & R from the plunge pool at Mac's, all the way to Zumbro Falls. It would be a bummer if someone caught a trophy and wanted to get it mounted.

(p.s. nice signature. they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. wink.gif

I fished from Hammond to Millville on Tuesday. Caught 50+ bass. Lots in the 6-10" ranch. A handful in the 12-14" range and 2 were 16"+.

Small gold spinners (mepps or panther martin) worked well for the little guys. A yellow spinnerbait caught almost all of the bigger fish. Tubes got some nice fish also.

The river was low,but there were a lot of fish.

Good luck....

Where is the green bridge?

North on Hwy 63 out of Rochester about 10 miles. Left on County Road 7. Down a windy hill and it's at the bottom. Can't miss it.

Yep, what Dan said. Its the first bridge below Mac's Power Dam on Lake Zumbro.

Thanks guys. Believe we're going from ZF to Hammond (by canoe - Thanks to the great advice from Dan smile.gif). Pretty jacked about going. Haven't been able to get out as much as I'd like - due to work and a business I run... Alot different than when I used to live up in Int'l Falls! smile.gif

Just another tip. Bring a chunk of rope so you can tie off to a tree branch near the deeper holes. Much easier than always fighting the current. Maybe a small anchor too.

I also sent an e-mail too ya! grin.gif

Great day on the water! Fished as we could with the numbers of people in our group. smile.gif Caught quite a few small smallies and a nice sauger. All in all, a great day on the water! Will add pics as time allows.

Thanks Dan! For your help! Greatly appreciated.