Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
EatSleepFish

bear shot placement

EatSleepFish

my fist year bear hunting and was wondering, since a bears vitals are smaller and more forward in the chest area than a deers, what should i aim for?

JEV

Aim right behind the front shoulder. Shot my first bear last year and that's where I held. Drilled him with my muzzleloader. He didn't run 20 yards after I shot. You'll hit plenty of vitals in that area.

JEV

BobT

Of course, this is for broadside or quarering away. You may have to adjust for other angles.

Bob

woodview

This is a bit funny considering I'm a bit of a computer nut but I've got a decent image showing the vitals for both deer and bear but don't know how to post the image. It's pdf and I'll gladly send it to you. Had some better ones stored on an old memory stick so I'll see if I can locate them

paaatus at yahoo (Contact Us Please)

marine_man

Here is woodview's image:

deerbearanatomyvq1.jpg

marine_man

Fish to Win

What do you guys think about head shots- I went to 2-3 bear classes and all the pros said NO head shots- Well just yesterday I read that a head shot is 1 of the best kill zones but it also did not recommend it but never said why- I know all of are are going to say to not shoot a bear in the head but if it is a deadly kill zone why not take it???

BLACKJACK

Good diagram!! I've saved it for future reference.

One thing to notice that was pointed out on another bowhunting website is that the shoulder blade is actually higher on a deer than it looks, it doens't cover the whole shoulder, meaning you can actually shoot a few inches farther forward than I had thought. As a guy that has gut shot more than one deer, I plan on starting to aim farther forward.

Gissert

The kill zone on a head shot is tiny, and no margin for error. If you are a little low, it is in the jaw, not immediately fatal. Same thing goes for the snout. All it takes is for the bear to move his head just a little and your point of aim has changed.

Not to mention, if you shoot a big bear in the skull, it will mess up any chance of getting it scored. Bears skulls make a nice European mount, and a head shot would ruin that.

Plug them in the heart/lung area, and you should get your bear.

charliepete2

I've only taken bears with my bow, but a good heart lung shot can't be beat. I position my baits so that the bears present a quartering away shot. I actually wait for them to put their near leg forward before I shoot. You don't have to worry as much about the shoulder and with a high poundage set up sometimes you break the off leg on the exit. Another tip for the bow is to let the bear get into the bait before attempting a shot. Bears are pretty cagey when coming into a bait, but tend to settle down once they start eating. It also gives the shooter some time to get himself together.

woodview

The shoulderblade positioning was a bit of a surprise to me as well. It wasn't until I started butchering my own deer that I realized that what appears to be solid leg/shoulder is largely muscle with the bones farther forward than I'd thought.

I used to aim farther back on them to the point that being off just a few inches would be borderline gut on deer.

How many of you (firearms) take them in the shoulder?

I don't take head or neck shots anymore. I've done it but was lucky and hit "exactly" where I was aiming. Now I preach and practise strictly cavity shots. To much potential for wounding the animal and likely horrifically so.

SpecialK

I always aim for the upper portion right behind the shoulder and have not wounded a deer or had to track one farther than 150 yards. I try to half the upper half if that makes sense.

Lung shots tend to leave lots of blood to follow as well, it's bright red and bubbly and usually around hip high so not a lot of crawling around looking for drops of blood.