Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rippenlips

lead core

3 posts in this topic

I usually come up to the big lake in late may early june and have good luck and good time fishing shallow (twin rocks and sandy shores) I am going to be coming up for the first time in the beginning of Sept. I don't have down riggers so we were going to try lead core. I have never done it before but my friend has. Just wondering if any of you had any tips on what kind of cranks to use/speed/color and what about depth where would a guy have the most luck. Or maybe a guy don't need to use lead core? Again thanks for the help.

Last week we graphed the majority of our fish in 30-32 fow. The fish were suspended anywhere between 21-27 feet, mostly at 24. We used deep reef runners and did ok, but the guys using down riggers hammered them using #7 rapalas. I would recommend northeast of Arnesen's, north of Long Point, out from Zipple Bay, or straight north up towards the angle. Reef fishing was slow, but again, most fish were off of the edges in deeper water. If you fish the reefs, be ready for big ones. We lost 2 VERY nice fish off of Arnesen's when we were live bait rigging. We had them 2/3 of the way up an they just spit the worm. Good luck.

1st part of Aug, #5 jointed shad rap in hot perch(Cabelas exclusive) was the plug that we all wanted to have on. I had the only 2 in the boat. I was threatend with mutiny unless I let somebody use the other one. Right size plug for that time of year also. I dont know if bait is larger 1 month later or not. Good on Mille Lacs also. I wouldn't go up with out one. Maybe also would have a #7 jointed also just in case bait is larger. 4-6 colors depending on depth or speed. 2.5 MPH seemed best. Hope this helps

eyewarrior