Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MuskyBug85

the trap today

7 posts in this topic

i guided on mantrap this morning and we saw 5 follows with 2 great opppertunities blown. client did however hook into a pike that would have been close to 40" lost the fish boat side. follows came on black and orange bucktails, cisco bulldawgs, and 1 oz j mac/5"shad combos. Jonah

Jonah,

Thanks for the info. The muskie follows any size to them

at all or shorties. I'm curious anybody been up to Elk lately.

all were close to and above 40" and sorry i havent been to elk in over a month. Jonah

Hey Guys,

I was on Mantrap this weekend Saturday evening and Sunday

Morning and the fishing was slow I had one come up and hit my orange pacemaker but missed. That was the only muskie action that I had. Just wondering how is everybody else doing out there. I stopped at a Gas station in Emmaville on

Saturday and somebody caught 50 incher and kept it. I guess there are some big fish in the lake.

Archery1 (sorry - don't know you by any other), what rig were you in? My son and I also fished Mantrap all weekend with one junior (36") to show for it. Went over to Leech though during the day and had lots of action in Walker Bay. Hooked 2, landed one (42) and 8 or 10 other follows. We fished along the northern shore lines just across from the city access cause it was not too windy. When it's windy, hit the rocks over in the main lake. I might just give up on Mantrap until trolling time in October. Lots of dead and decaying weeds, probably due to the previously high water temps, and lots of it floating on the surface. I heard they've been reasonably successful on Big Lake and Cass Lake a little farther north.

Hey Propster,

I was in a 17 ft red and white Alumacraft with a 90 hp motor. You guys fish Mantrap alot or what. I've seen alot

of fish but alot of them are small. I think alot of Muskies

in that lake suspend out in the Depths.

I believe we've seen your rig before but don't think I saw it last weekend. We have fished it a fair amount the last couple years but the pressure keeps going up and we've been branching out a bit. We're visiting my in-laws near Nevis this weekend so will give Mantrap a try again - but it will probably be nuts out there. We've tried Vermillion once and definitely will be going back. Have fished Leech a few times and are learning it more. I agree with your suspicion that the bigger fish on Mantrap suspend more, probably because of the presence of ciscos and because of the quick access to deep water. I also lament what I've heard from some of the resorters - their customers have caught some nice fish (by accident mostly) and wind up keeping most of them. We need to voice our opinion this fall to the DNR and get that 48" minimum passed. We do like it in October and have had some success with trolling, though the biggest has been 45". Good luck when you do hit it again.