Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tims

Smallies!! Free spot

12 posts in this topic

Had great luck wading for smallies. Caught about 50. Biggest going 19 inches. Also caught a brown trout that taped out at 20. All fish released... Location southeast of Roshester on county road 20 one bridge west of Fugels Mill. Wade down about 100 yards west of the bridge and you will get some deeper water with a cold feeder stream coming in. Good spot to take the kids with easy wading and easy fishing. Have fun!!! smile.gif

Sounds like fun. Nice fish. Dandy fish.

Big smallies and big trout. What's better than that?

There are also some huge carp in there for the taking. Have to go up or down stream a ways, but they are plentiful and GIANT! Did I mention there are some true trophy smallies in there? My personal best is 21 inches that came last fall. I had several break offs today that felt like dandies. One of them I caught later and got my lure back! From now till winter it will only get better. grin.gif

So what were you using if I may ask?I keep seeing all these post of huge bass especially tyler holms and can't help but to want to get in on the action.I've never been great with artificials,but wow a 19 inch smallie.INCREDIBLE!

Plastics... Worked slowly along the bottom.

I am heading out there sometime this weekend. Is the bridge your talking about just North of County Road 120 on County Road 20? Also, I was wondering if you were using live bait or if not, what type of lures were you using and colors? I am going with a buddy and we usually don't have much luck...it would be nice to catch some fish, take a few pics, and then release them.

confused a little on your directions as county 20 goes into 16 and simpson.Is it right toward the golf course after simpson?County 20 does'nt cross the river.Thought about going out toward marion and heading across to fugels mill then to the west,but thought I'd ask you first.

Ok...let me see if I can't confuse anyone else...CR20 goes East off of highway 63 (which is also St. Bridgets Rd SE). CR20 goes South for approx 2.5 miles and then goes East for about 1 mile where it meets up with CR16 going East into Simpson, it then continues to go South till CR20 meets up with highway 30 out of Stewartville. Flugels Mill is located on CR1. So, I am a bit confused where CR20 meets up with Flugels Mill. There is a bridge south of Flugels Mill that goes over the North Branch Root River...wondering if this is the part of the river that was mentioned in the beginning of the thread?

Tims,

I’m just curiouis, why would you (or anyone for that matter) want to tell the world about what I would consider a pretty dang good honeyhole?

I just don’t get it.

JA!

If you go through Simpson and keep going straight you are heading towards the bridge by fugels mill.. That is NOT the place. Take a right before you get to the bridge. Go one mile take a left. The bridge i was taking about is on that road. One mile west of Fugels Mill. It looked like county 20 on mapquest but i guess im wrong. Type in rochester mn on mapquest then zoom in around the Simpson area and you'll see the area.. Have fun.

There is no such thing as a "free spot" when it is on private land. Be sure to ask permission.

99% of the time they will give you access, unless they've had problems before. So I would ask that anyone stopping at any bridge, and planning to take a walk and not staying in the water the entire time, take the time to ask. Its easy, shows respect, and builds landowner/angler relations.

Now that I'm done preaching, Tims advice on slow moving plastics is very good, and its great to hear of trout that far upstream, with the warm summer, water temps have been up, and water cold enough to hold trout has been a problem in areas of moderate streams and rivers.

I myself stayed in the water the entire time so I dint bother getting permission. Like I said it's easy wading. Good reminder though.