• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Had great luck wading for smallies. Caught about 50. Biggest going 19 inches. Also caught a brown trout that taped out at 20. All fish released... Location southeast of Roshester on county road 20 one bridge west of Fugels Mill. Wade down about 100 yards west of the bridge and you will get some deeper water with a cold feeder stream coming in. Good spot to take the kids with easy wading and easy fishing. Have fun!!! smile.gif

Sounds like fun. Nice fish. Dandy fish.

Big smallies and big trout. What's better than that?

There are also some huge carp in there for the taking. Have to go up or down stream a ways, but they are plentiful and GIANT! Did I mention there are some true trophy smallies in there? My personal best is 21 inches that came last fall. I had several break offs today that felt like dandies. One of them I caught later and got my lure back! From now till winter it will only get better. grin.gif

So what were you using if I may ask?I keep seeing all these post of huge bass especially tyler holms and can't help but to want to get in on the action.I've never been great with artificials,but wow a 19 inch smallie.INCREDIBLE!

I am heading out there sometime this weekend. Is the bridge your talking about just North of County Road 120 on County Road 20? Also, I was wondering if you were using live bait or if not, what type of lures were you using and colors? I am going with a buddy and we usually don't have much luck...it would be nice to catch some fish, take a few pics, and then release them.

confused a little on your directions as county 20 goes into 16 and simpson.Is it right toward the golf course after simpson?County 20 does'nt cross the river.Thought about going out toward marion and heading across to fugels mill then to the west,but thought I'd ask you first.

Ok...let me see if I can't confuse anyone else...CR20 goes East off of highway 63 (which is also St. Bridgets Rd SE). CR20 goes South for approx 2.5 miles and then goes East for about 1 mile where it meets up with CR16 going East into Simpson, it then continues to go South till CR20 meets up with highway 30 out of Stewartville. Flugels Mill is located on CR1. So, I am a bit confused where CR20 meets up with Flugels Mill. There is a bridge south of Flugels Mill that goes over the North Branch Root River...wondering if this is the part of the river that was mentioned in the beginning of the thread?

Tims,

I’m just curiouis, why would you (or anyone for that matter) want to tell the world about what I would consider a pretty dang good honeyhole?

I just don’t get it.

JA!

If you go through Simpson and keep going straight you are heading towards the bridge by fugels mill.. That is NOT the place. Take a right before you get to the bridge. Go one mile take a left. The bridge i was taking about is on that road. One mile west of Fugels Mill. It looked like county 20 on mapquest but i guess im wrong. Type in rochester mn on mapquest then zoom in around the Simpson area and you'll see the area.. Have fun.

There is no such thing as a "free spot" when it is on private land. Be sure to ask permission.

99% of the time they will give you access, unless they've had problems before. So I would ask that anyone stopping at any bridge, and planning to take a walk and not staying in the water the entire time, take the time to ask. Its easy, shows respect, and builds landowner/angler relations.

Now that I'm done preaching, Tims advice on slow moving plastics is very good, and its great to hear of trout that far upstream, with the warm summer, water temps have been up, and water cold enough to hold trout has been a problem in areas of moderate streams and rivers.

I myself stayed in the water the entire time so I dint bother getting permission. Like I said it's easy wading. Good reminder though.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.