Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

1st Please Post Your Fishing Report - Then Join the NEW - Private Fishing Report Clubs   01/24/2018

Private Fishing Report Clubs - Click Here - Post Your Fishing Report Before Joining
      1st, be sure you post a fishing report in the forums, then ask to join after you post a fishing report in your area forum. The Private Fishing Report Clubs are where folks can share private fishing information with club members who have proven they know what's going on. Fishing Report Clubs Link also in Menu above. Apply to become a member today, while it's still easy. 
  • RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  

tims

Had great luck wading for smallies. Caught about 50. Biggest going 19 inches. Also caught a brown trout that taped out at 20. All fish released... Location southeast of Roshester on county road 20 one bridge west of Fugels Mill. Wade down about 100 yards west of the bridge and you will get some deeper water with a cold feeder stream coming in. Good spot to take the kids with easy wading and easy fishing. Have fun!!! smile.gif

Tyler Holm

Sounds like fun. Nice fish. Dandy fish.

Big smallies and big trout. What's better than that?

tims

There are also some huge carp in there for the taking. Have to go up or down stream a ways, but they are plentiful and GIANT! Did I mention there are some true trophy smallies in there? My personal best is 21 inches that came last fall. I had several break offs today that felt like dandies. One of them I caught later and got my lure back! From now till winter it will only get better. grin.gif

reel man

So what were you using if I may ask?I keep seeing all these post of huge bass especially tyler holms and can't help but to want to get in on the action.I've never been great with artificials,but wow a 19 inch smallie.INCREDIBLE!

tims

Plastics... Worked slowly along the bottom.

Chaddjurg

I am heading out there sometime this weekend. Is the bridge your talking about just North of County Road 120 on County Road 20? Also, I was wondering if you were using live bait or if not, what type of lures were you using and colors? I am going with a buddy and we usually don't have much luck...it would be nice to catch some fish, take a few pics, and then release them.

reel man

confused a little on your directions as county 20 goes into 16 and simpson.Is it right toward the golf course after simpson?County 20 does'nt cross the river.Thought about going out toward marion and heading across to fugels mill then to the west,but thought I'd ask you first.

Chaddjurg

Ok...let me see if I can't confuse anyone else...CR20 goes East off of highway 63 (which is also St. Bridgets Rd SE). CR20 goes South for approx 2.5 miles and then goes East for about 1 mile where it meets up with CR16 going East into Simpson, it then continues to go South till CR20 meets up with highway 30 out of Stewartville. Flugels Mill is located on CR1. So, I am a bit confused where CR20 meets up with Flugels Mill. There is a bridge south of Flugels Mill that goes over the North Branch Root River...wondering if this is the part of the river that was mentioned in the beginning of the thread?

J.A.Say.Tree

Tims,

I’m just curiouis, why would you (or anyone for that matter) want to tell the world about what I would consider a pretty dang good honeyhole?

I just don’t get it.

JA!

tims

If you go through Simpson and keep going straight you are heading towards the bridge by fugels mill.. That is NOT the place. Take a right before you get to the bridge. Go one mile take a left. The bridge i was taking about is on that road. One mile west of Fugels Mill. It looked like county 20 on mapquest but i guess im wrong. Type in rochester mn on mapquest then zoom in around the Simpson area and you'll see the area.. Have fun.

Sarge

There is no such thing as a "free spot" when it is on private land. Be sure to ask permission.

99% of the time they will give you access, unless they've had problems before. So I would ask that anyone stopping at any bridge, and planning to take a walk and not staying in the water the entire time, take the time to ask. Its easy, shows respect, and builds landowner/angler relations.

Now that I'm done preaching, Tims advice on slow moving plastics is very good, and its great to hear of trout that far upstream, with the warm summer, water temps have been up, and water cold enough to hold trout has been a problem in areas of moderate streams and rivers.

tims

I myself stayed in the water the entire time so I dint bother getting permission. Like I said it's easy wading. Good reminder though.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Fathom
      Set up deeper on rock reef for the rest of the weekend and only managed one fish (26" eye), missed a couple others. We wanted to stay deeper due to all the traffic on the lake. We did enjoy a good time at Fishing for Ducks, we saw a nice walleye pulled through the ice but it only measured 27.5". Talk about a bummer for that guy!
    • Jarrid Houston
      Roads to the islands always need to be taken very cautious and I would encourage going with someone who knows the area..  I believe they were shutting down the highway H extension due to this recent weather we just got?  Plenty of fish and opportune situtations in the bay.
    • cookie129
      Another crazy busy weekend is in the books. I really enjoy giving out my fishing/what's happening on the lake reports but finding the time has been tough. To say its a grind is a understatement.
       I can tell you again as the season winds down I'm never ready for it to end, as I truly love being out there in my trucks, moving houses, plowing the  hillmen highway, giving advise, helping other fishermen when they do something silly, Driving into a snow bank, dropping there gun down a hole or any other important object like there keys. Every year all the workers seem to get a little grumpy as fighting mother nature, going from sun up to sunset takes a toll physically and mentally. It also seems I ruffle a few feathers every year and its never my intent  so I have to chalk it up as a long season. If I stepped on anyone's toes it sure was not planned or intended as all most every day plan a turns to plan b and c. Mother nature dictates where I go sometimes as well as any plowed roads that can make our job easier. The cookie shuffle worked very well this year as I tell everyone that gets lost in my maze of trails. I'm not a road engineer.
       Man did we get overwhelmed with wheel house's this past weekend, any fish coming from southwest had to go threw a gauntlet of hooks to find my fishermen.
       I had two wheel house's  that I set up at the end of the hillmens highway and was surprised how bad they did. I guess I should of went south not east? The nw road has gotten to much to maintain, there's one lone house out that way that will need a new trail made .
       Its all started Thursday as jonnny boy and I prepped for the weekend with Joe, Zack, Adam and   his crew arriving fro florida. Zacks birthday wish was fishing red lake, they had a blast. They went to westwind where they enjoyed a fish fry, plus they took home a few fish with a couple even getting a ride in florida fish house as we moved a small distance to put it on fresh ice for there last night sunday. Last year when they came we landed on the elusive yet still catchable upper red lake crappie mother load? I think  they had dreams for a year of repeating that. Every year is different and again this year was no exception.
       Ben who proposed in old Minnesota to Shawna 8 years ago were in old Minnesota with there two adorable kids. Louie the fishing machine and his little sister Willa plus there friend Nelli.
       They had a blast also with Shawna getting a elusive yet still catchable upper red lake crappie to boot. They also managed to take home a nice batch of upper red lake walleyes.
       Hunter and his two buddies were in north Dakota. It was slow but they also managed to take home a batch of fish.
       Charlie and Rizzo were in montana , They were very serious about there fishing and went home with there 8.
      Jeromy and his gal were in north Carolina Saturday, sunday . They also managed to get there 8.
       Sunday was a very tough day as we had all 5 houses re rented. I was planning on moving all of them so we battled mother nature the whole time as a ne wind with 2 inches of snow made it impossible to see. At one point I was getting sea sick as I struggled to see, With the sky, horizon and the lake all the same color. wow what a struggle.
       It took us  7 1/2 hours but we got every thing cleaned, moved.
       Mother nature has given us another bout of snow so tomorrow I will let every one know how the houses did the last two days as its time to check the fluids and fire up the fleet

• nickeleye
      Figured I should report back... I fished prime time on Saturday morning and Saturday evening. No action. It didn't help that I forgot to grab the vexilar on the first outing, but it didn't help to have it on the second outing either! ha! Marked a few but couldn't get them to bite. Used a GPS chip to punch some holes over structure, but when I came back with the vexilar, they weren't quite as deep as I hoped. Thanks for the pointers BrianF
    • LucasLongCaster
      Around this time last year this thread was started by @Royal_Dutchman. I got my trip planned for April but by the look of the extended forecast it's not looking to promising, especially compared to where it was at last year on Feb 23rd. 
    • osok
      Been a brutal hard water season for me as well, figured it was a continuation of my fall fishing luck. 
    • Wanderer
      Thanks guys.  I checked out Modis for ice coverage and Navionics to help understand how things are laid out.  Knowing what areas certain fish prefer and those typical depths is a big plus.
    • urbaniceteam
      My wife and I are hoping to get up to Mille Lacs this Saturday and spend the night on the ice.  Does anyone have any last minute availability?  All the resorts I've contacted are booked. Thanks!
    • Borch
      Lots of nice fish!  Central Mn is cranking out some nice panfish.
    • eyeguy 54
      I did till about 2 then just had to go for a bit. LOL 
  • Share & Have Fun