• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

CAN YOU FEEL IT

harvey lee

Every morning that I get up I can feel the cool fall air and cannot wait for the season to begin.I only need to wait for another week and a day and I will have another chance at the buck of my dreams.North Dakota here I come. smile.gif

With the deer herd in great shape and the softer winters the past few years the mature whitetails should be in prime shape.It could be years before the whitetail hunting in North Dakota will be this awesome again.Good luck to all this fall. smile.gif

I've been feeling it since Jan 3rd!! Did some apple tree scouting to pinpoint the trees with fruit this past Sun. High time to put up a stand or two, a ground blind or two, do some tilling/fall planting - all that good stuff I plan each year on getting done early but never seems to happen. Lots of anticipation this year with some real big sheds being found in the area this spring plus lots of 2.5 year old bucks passed up by myself and surrounding hunters. Trying to figure out which days to take off in Nov to hit the rut just right wink.gif Plus, I believe I fell into 1,600 acres of prime whitetail country to bow hunt - but I have to share it with one other guy!!

And it is probably in Bufflao county you lucky dog.I didnt see my invite for that hunt yet or are you saving all the big ones for yourself?

harvey,

Yup, I can sure feel it. I'm reeeeaaalllly gettin' itchy to get in the woods as soon as I can. I'm outta the country until Labor Day starting this Sat (work), but when I get back I'll be ready to go. Can't wait!

Don't ya just love those cool mornings starting this time of year?!?

If you can carry it in with you opening morning or when you are going to hunt and put it up without making a ton of noise then that day will work.I ALWAYS hang my stands weeks before the season and clear some shooting lanes.If you have to cut brush the day you are going to hunt use rubber gloves to leave as little scent on the branches as possible.If I go hunting for a few days and would like to move a stand to a new area then I will hang it before I leave and give the scent in the area I put it up to go away so when I get back all I have to do is climb in.

Sorry Harvey, 1,600 acres to hunt for free just doesn't happen in Buff Co anymore unless you got very similar blood to the land owner. Its not far away though and the deer hunting overall is great both there and where I'm currently hunting. I am spoiled with the opportunities but I realize that and am very thankful. Still can't kill a big buck though confused.gif

Harvey - I'll get to know the lay of the land this fall/winter and also a feel for the landowner. If both are a go I can try to get you over here for a bowhunt next year.

I am always open to a outstate hunt.Maybe next year you could hook up with me and do North Dakota.All you would need is the license as we have 2 sections and a house and shed for the wheelers. smile.gif

Yes, the fever's starting to get worse on this front.

On a related note, man is it dry here. I went & hung a portable on Saturday. I put it up from the bed of my truck, it's in the back of an in use cow pasture on the opposite side of a small swamp. Last year I walked bogs for 10 yards to get across, this year I just drove right across. Hunted the tree for 45 minutes last year & saw two deer, got the doe, the sign's there, looking forward to hunting it again. Like somebody talked about in the archery tips, it's one of those East wind spots.

I'll be hanging some stands this weekend...I'm sure I will be feeling it. I heard that it is supposed to be in the 60's for highs up here in the north country. Hope so. That will get the blood pumpin! grin.gif

I can feel it. I got a small promotion at work and as a reward, the wife suggested I buy some hunting stuff. I am going to buy a big game partner stand and the corresponding blind for bow and gun season. Obviously, I'll use the blind part for gun only. But I can feel it. Can't wait to get that thing up. Roomy and will make for some relaxing hunts this fall.

Good luck Harvey, let us know how your trip goes since most of us have too wait alittle longer. This cooler weather is much aprreciated and hope it holds out for you. Last year was too warm.

Hey Cooter which direction are you heading. Might be getting to close to me grin.gif hope you all get Mr big

This weekend is looking very good for temps with only a small chance of rain so far.

Oh can I feel it alright. Just wish I had more time on my hands to get everything ready smirk.gif Got out to the woods to hang some stands. At each stand location the trails were being used quiet heavily. Where there is beans/clover for a food source, the deer have been targeting those areas within 20-25 yards of the stands!

Only 16 more days left for you guys. For me, I have to add another week because I'll be at my nieces baptism crazy.gif Like who plans a baptism on archery opener wink.gif

Since I am so lucky as to go this weekend I'll stick one for you all. smile.gifsmile.gif

I never really get that pumped for the opener but with the looks of the cooler forcasts and it being so dry in North Dakota the bugs should be few I am really pumped.Can I go now??

you guys are terrible!!!! you have got me stired up and i have over a month to wait yet!!!! i messed with my broad heads last night. ( put them on the arrows and spun them to be certain they were centered, and then touched up the tips) will save sharpening and blacking them for another time!

I can smell it! Time to get the clothes rounded up and make sure everything is in check. I need to buy a couple more stands yet. I leave for Canada for a week on Saturday so most of my focus has been fishing related still. That will soon change.

hey captain

A long time ago my Girl Friend at the time told me this when i had asked her to marry me.She says the only way i'll marry you is if we get married on opening day of bow hunting.Well it took me 5 years to say ok.After several years of not being around on are wedding day she says,Well will you be back tonight so we can go out.Hmmm i had to think realy hard.When i came home i was left with my mounts and hunting clothes 1 towel and a list of bills.

To this day i still look forward to hunting season more and more.I see more racks now then i did when i was married

Sorry, not to offend but, Holy Dumb Question Batman!! "Can I feel it?" I am surprised I'm not a raving, glassy-eyed lunatic at this point, just a few short weekends from opener! Lemme tell ya, the first doe in range and in the right spot is gonna feel a slight sting, make a short walk, lie down and, soon after, will be wrapped, packed and stacked save a couple of tenderloins, oh so gently fried in butter and garlic, a little rice and a bit o' nice wine, or beer or....who cares!! I'll be tastin' fresh venison and my brain will probably do as usual when that happens, it will turn to mush, my eyes will glaze and the supreme euphoria will take over. Man, I hope all your hunts are gonna be half as good as mine! Cheers my brudders of the bow! Short blood trails to ya!!

I had a very wet weekend with rain most of the days there.I did have a chance to stick a couple flattops but decided not to.I will be leaving again Sunday for a few days and then again the following week for 4 more days.Its bow hunting time baby. smile.gif

Harvey, how does the licence work in NoDak, how many deer/does/bucks can you shoot? Any antler point restrictions?

Got into an argument with the wife this weekend, she wanted to winterize the camper, I said 'no', I'm going to work on deer stands, do some scouting, etc. Its not freezing yet, don't worry about the %$#@% camper!

If you are looking at archery hunting you can buy your whitetail tag over the counter which is good for a buck or a doe.The any deer tag is limited to amount given out and they are probably gone.The rifle buck tags are by drawing only and that is done.The extra doe tags are 50 dollars and you can go through the later lotteries or once they are done you buy buy the left overs first come,first serve.There are still some zones with doe tags left that you can buy.The extra doe tags have to be used in the zone bought for but you can use them eith bow,gun or muzzlelaoder as long as it is within the license zone and season.

Archery buck tag--200 dollars-over the counter

Extra doe tags 50 dollars-some still left,first come first serve

Buck gun --200 dollars--lottery done

You can have a rifle,bow and all the doe tags you want to buy if they are left.

No point rules.