Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kidfour

Wilson Lake

6 posts in this topic

Me and the family are heading up to Wilson lake for the week of 8-28. Any fishing reports or tips are appreciated.

If you don't recommend Wilson, what lake would you recommend in that area (north of Finland north of Nine Mile & Trestle).

Thanks in advance for any help.

I fish Fourmile and Toohey a lot. Also Elbow, but there is a carryover. Timber is good too, but remote. Fish the weed lines,and rock piles. Play the wind as they are shallow lakes and stained. Nice populations and year classes in them. Take it easy on Fourmile as there are some rock trouble spots. Once you are on the larger part of the lake, stay away from the big island as there are some unforgiving rocks. Goof fishing and have fun.

kidfour, welcome to FM.

Wilson is a decent eye lake but clear. I'd pick the low light hours to fish it. Like Mike said Fourmile and Toohey are in that area, both a campgrounds. Toohey being more private. Theres a reef that runs along side the island on Fourmile, take is slow in there and you'll want to fish that area as well.

Thanks for the advice. If we don't have success on Wilson I will try the other lakes you mentioned.

Do you have any suggestions for bait or tackle? We are planning on starting with crawlers but change if we need to.

Thanks again and we are so excited to get to Wilson.

I am a live bait rigger. Lindy"s and nightcrawlers,leeches. I like slip bobbers with leeches. I pull spinners with bottom bouncers. Rarely use minnows as they were hard to keep; In the spring I did with jigs while anchored. Cooler temps or a livewell will help. The boat I use on smaller lakes doesn't have a well. I have seen guys pulling stick baits. Never have though, on those lakes. Might be good on Wilson towards dusk. Wilson is very clear and i prefer the stained lakes near Wilson. I hope this helps. Be safe! :

Thanks for the tips.

We caught some Walleyes but all in all it was tough, probably because we were not familiar to the lake or using Lindy's. At least that is the excuse I'm going to use and I'm sticking with it.

It was a good trip to investigate the lake and experiment with different riggings.

The weather was fantastic, mid to upper 70's and sunny every day.

Overall it was a great time and I can't wait to go back.

Thanks again and I can't wait for my annual Fall trip to the Miss. for Walleyes.