• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

sighting in broadheads

Pooh

just bought montec G5s cause i was told that the are one of the best flying fixed blade broadheads. only one problem i cant get them even close to flying like i had broadheads flew from my last bow. i paper tuned my bow and the field tips shoot great and can keep a 3 inch group and 40 yards, but the montecs are always about 2" low and 6" left with a big tail whip. i also shot the muzzy MX4s with the same outcome. wondering if its the rest or arrows or the heads themselves. I shoot beman 400 hunters 100 grain tips through a bisquit with 2 inch blazers at 72 lbs and 28" of draw. i love the way the blazers shoot. Another thing i found funny, is the bottom of the bisquit, where the 2 bottom vanes go through, are starting to come back towards the string.

Pooh,

Did you check the rest and see if the vains are catching or You might just have to lighen up the Broadhead. I bought a new bow 4 years ago and was able to use the same arrows and with field points they flew great but I had to change broad heads cause they did the same thing. I went from 115's down to 100's and that fixed the problem. You might have to go to 90's to get the proformance you are looking for. I will give you this atleast you checked how your broad head fly cause I know people that just say hey my field point works fine the broad head has to be the same and never shot one to find out.

Froggy

Yea i have the same problem. I shot the mx4 and went down and left. Then i shot a 2 blade and was dead center and right like 2in. These are my buddies broadheads but they are the exact same grain. So like you said should i go down to lets say a 90 or 85?

In a article in Field & Stream last year they talked about the fletchings, whether or not they are straight or helical will make a difference. Something to check in to...good luck.

I use muzzy 100 grain 4 blades and they don't hit like field tips they shoot at about 4-5 inches to the right, I re-adjusted my sight and solved the problem. this year I am going to try slick tricks and nap nitrons to see what happens.

good luck

I sight my bow sights in with the broadheads I am using for the year and leave it set there.I would without a doubt check your pins if you change broadheads as they will fly somewhat different.Sight your bow in with the broadheads you are hunting with.My muzzies do hit a little low versus my field points.

If you are confident that you are tuned and shooting bullet holes I would guess you are on the verge of being underspined with your arrows. Like already suggested by someone, try a 90 grain broadhead or try out some 340 spine arrows. I find even though the charts say I need a 400 spine, I have problems shooting a 400 spine arrow. Bumped up to a 340 and no problems. I'm shooting a 28" draw and only about 65 pounds. You are at 72lb and same draw... I would tend to think it might really be a spine problem. The arrow is flexing too much at the release which is letting the broadhead blades grab a little more air and steer your arrow. This isn't happening with the fieldpoints because there are no blades to catch that air. The other thing you could try is very small 1/32 inch adjustments in your rest and nocking point to see if they group any better. NAP has a tuning guide online and I think Easton does too. They tell you which way to try bumping your rest and nocking points based on how your arrows are grouping. If you don't feel like fiddling with all the adjustments and arrow changes, I would just adjust my sight. I'm sure you can get them to shoot the same as your field points but it might take more time than you are willing to commit this close to the season opener. Good luck. Let us know how things work out. Any questions?