Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nate larson

Zumbro pics

9 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

Here are some pictures of some fish that I caught a few weeks ago on the Zumbro river. I think the first one is a sauger...it didn't have any white on the tail. Never caught one before so I am not totally sure.

scan0001.jpg

scan0002.jpg

Good job Nate! Way to go.

Do you remember if that fish had any black dots in the rays of the dorsal fin? I think I see the black dots on the next fin back. Pretty sure it's a sauger. I don't see the patterned mottled patches that I usually see in the Zumbro saugers. If it is a sauger that's a pretty decent one. Decent size for a Zumbro walleye too.

Were you using a Crayfish Rapala? Or are ya still using Husky Jerks?

Yep Nate, Looks like a nice Sauger. It's an odd looking one since its skin is golden like a walleye would be. Normally saugers have blotchy marks along their sides. The best indication is the black spots in the dorsal fin. Also the white tipped tail gives it away that walleye or saugeye.

Nice smallie as well.

Yeah it was a fun fish to catch! I caught both of these fish on a gold husky jerk. I didn't even think to look for the black spots! I have another picture of it...I will see if the spots show up on that one. Any chance that it could be a saugeye? Maybe that is why it kind of looks a little like both. Who knows.

nice fish nate! we should go fishing together sometime..and and whoever took those pics must have been jealous tongue.gif

Saugeyes have a white tipped tail. Looks more like a sauger. You could post this picture in the walleye forum and see what those guys say.

Ahhhhh yes...you are right. That makes sense. Sauger it is then!

Actually I did some more research and found the following information:

Saugeye are a cross of the walleye and sauger. The dark bars on the dorsal fin are the best identifying characteristic for this fish. Sharp canine teeth, dark blotches on the sides, and a white tip on the lower tail also help identify the saugeye.

---------

Saugeye are a hybrid produced by interbreeding male sauger and female walleye. As would be expected of a hybrid, saugeye have some features of both parent species. The body of the saugeye is tubular and elongate and the tail fin has a white border on the lower end, like a walleye. This sleek body style allows them to burst through the water for short sprints, as well as swim long distances at moderate speeds.

Like saugers, saugeye also have the dark blotches across their sides and back, and the dorsal fin is usually spotted. Their coloration is generally yellowish- to golden-brown.

---------

After reading all that, yours does not appear to be a saugeye due to the lacking white tipped tail; however, I took a look at several photos on the internet and most of them (claiming to be saugeyes) don't have a white tipped tail.

I'll seek the help from the walleye forum experts.

Im saying Sauger as well. Nice one too. Good catch.