Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bigyooper

Danger on the River

6 posts in this topic

The St. Louis is dangerously low,

I totaled my Motor on Saturday in spot that I can usually zip through.

I just wanted to put this out to everyone to help save someone else the trouble.

Man that sucks! Last week I was up above 23 and hit a boulder in a spot that I have never had problems with as well. Put a nice gouge in my skeg and bent up my prop. Good thing I was only going 5 mph with it trimmed all the way up.... crazy.gif

Ya its for sure no place to be runnin if you dont know exactly where to go when the waters low. I crossed some spots that are usually 2-3' deep and they were about 8" now. Be careful up there guys. Use the bowmount in those shallow spots. Sorry to hear about your motor Big! Was that after I left?

The river has this problems when it's low. And the dark water prevents you from seeing the hazards. Remember, it also has a sieche tide, the level varies with atmospheric pressure. On a clear blue day when the pressure is high, the river is likely low because Lake Superior will fluctuate low. The level can change 6" in 20 minutes and as far up as the 23 bridge! That could be just enough to take out the lower unit. Don't believe me? Just cast an eye over to the ruined dock just east of the Bong Bridge and note the level of the water each time you go over. (don't be an inattentive driver, though). You'll see that it does change, even daily, and it has no relation to recent rain.

All my years of duck hunting down there out of a boat blind I've noticed the wind will also play a big factor in levels. West and Nortwest winds drop her low wheres the east and south winds seem to bring her up. I've seen it go up and down a foot 20 times a day.

Dude,

thanks for not calling me and asking me to join you. Thats all i need is to be ordering a new lower unit for my engine.

You going to have that puppy fixed soon? or is it time to upgrade from that 35HP beast?

Whats your boat rated for?

I see a 50HP Merc for sale, 2005 (2 stroke of course) with low freshwater use for 3795 + Shipping (or 4340 new). Dig DEEP in those pockets!