• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

what's your goose load?

What is everyones favorite goose load - I have always used 3" BBB's last year I went with the 3 1/2" BBB.

Estate loads or Federal Speed Shock was my preference for manufacturers last year. Estate makes a quality load for a price that cannot be beat. I liked how the Federal loads patterned in my gun better last year. In either case 3" BB or BBB is my favorite for geese.

Good Luck and Be Safe!

smile.gif

BB is the biggest that I go. I also use 4-6 shot for ducks. My old man is a firm believer in using a smaller shot to get more pellets in the area. He actually uses size 6-7.5 for ducks, and even though he's in his 60's he still outshoots me every year.

Remington 3&1/2" high velocity BB and BBB pattern well in my gun, so I use them most of the time. They seem to have good knockdown power when I manage to hit anything. tongue.gif

3" BB or BBB HHV Federals pattern best in my gun. I agree with the small shot size as well. I use the 7.5-6 shot for early ducks but bump it up a bit for later mallards and divers, much cheaper as well.

3inch HHV federals in triple B or BB for Geese and 3-4s for ducks until the northren mallards are down then its 2 and BB

I still have some remaining Federal tungston-iron in 3" BB's and 2-3/4" B's going 1450fps that really snockers them! grin.gif

I have to say that I preffer BB and BBB for a standard goose load out to 40 yards. I have been shooting some 2 3/4" Federal Tungstun in the BB size and it flat out kills geese. I have yet to chase down a cripple with it. The only unfortunate thing about that is that Federal ammunition doesn't make it anymore. Although if you have the money their new High Density Steel works just as well.

For close range shooting 10yds or less 2,3, and 4 shot was putting a hurt on the early birds last year, but for 4 shot they have to be really close!! I like all of my goose loads at least 1/4oz or higher just to give it that little extra bit of knockdown power. You would be surprised at what a difference a little margin like that can make. Another thing to keep in mind is that just because some boxes have a higher speed on them and a lighter wieght doesn't mean they are going to knock that bird down any better. You just have to remeber that is the "muzzel" speed of the projectile. It slows dow considerably after it exits the barrel. A heavier projectile holds its speed and momentum much better, especially if you compare it to lighter loads in the wind.

I like to use Federal Tungsten, Winchester Supreme Steel and Winchester Drylock which patterns out very well from my Benelli and saves me some money. It all depends on what works best for your gun. Try patterning out some different brands and see what they look like. This will hopefully help get those "would be" cripples dead in the decoys wink.gif!!

I hate shot size smaller than 2's!

The reason is if you really get a good hit with say #4 shot, you better have your dental insurance paid up when you chomp down on one of those little shot pelletes that stay imbedded in the meat!

Give me BB or larger, I know those pellets will go right thru the goose! blush.gif

I am not real brand loyal with shotgun shells for the simple reason they are getting so expensive when you shoot as many as I do. As far as shot size for geese I use 3.5" BBB's and nothing else. I did get 8-10 boxes of 3.5" T shot last January on clearance for $4.50 a box, but I can't find a choke tube that will pattern them very well. In fact, I was just patterning my gun last weekend with a new choke tube(Carlson full steel choke) and I got everything from 4 shot up to the BBB's to pattern very nice and tight but the "T" shot in 3 different guns was very inconsistent with large holes all over the paper that a good size goose could fly right through. I am sticking with my BBB's for geese.

I could actually care less about name brand.

I use 3" BBB or BB. Name brand being what ever is the cheapest on the shelf.

I would have to agree with tearin lips. I second estate loads. A couple of years ago I found them on special at L&M. I asked around and I was told that they are a quality load. Because they were on sale I bought 5 cases (1,250 shots total) what ended up being $6.50 a box. Not sure if it is a good thing or not, but I am running low and need some more grin.gif . Anyway to the point, I shoot 3" BB and BBB for geese and I out shoot guys I hunt with that are shooting 3.5" tungsten-iron-polymer-blah-blah-blah $2-$3 a shot nonsense. I am still a believer that it is aiming that matters. tongue.giftongue.gif

Ryan

I switched to 3.5 inch last season and it made a big difference in knockdown power. I don't know if it was the extra powder or extra BBB but it seemed to have helped.

Going to 3.5 inch was worth it for me.

3" BB in Federal or Fasteel--late season my last two shots are tungsten-iron!

If they are decoying birds I'll leave a duck load in for the 1st shot (3" 2 shot)

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Try the High Denisty Loads from Federal in number 2's or BBs for geese it has helped me out a bunch alot less cripples for me anyways.

Quote:

I only use fed 3.5in 1.25oz 1550fps T shot. Great for 40 to 60 yrd shotz.

Getdowndog, have you ever patterned the "T" shot? I have shot it through three different 12 gauges with various chokes and my 10 gauge with IC and Mod choke and can't get a decent pattern in any of them. I have quite a bit of it but with a pattern that has large holes in it everywhere I don't like using it. what type of gun are you shooting it through and with what choke? thanks for the info.

I use Kent Fasteel 3.5" 1's. For goose hunting 95% of our shots is within 20 yards right over the decoys. Any geese further than that are called in closer or left to fly another day.

Nova, I use 2 chokes with my B Nova I have patterned them.

Terror choke .675 small shot tight patterns. Bigger shot

BBB and Ts are not as tight as the factory mod at 60 to 70 yards(1550fps) That Terror choke has about a 2 in extention on it.

After a little research I have come to the conclusion that I need a extended tube with a .700 choke (just about the same as a factory mod, but longer and tapered.)With this choke I think I will get a tighter pattern at 60yrds. Only thing is that I paid $80 for that .675 so I am looking for a cheaper one @ .700 to .720.

I think with a little less choke with bigger shot like

Ts, I will have a little less blowout and more hits in the zone.

ps the shells I use are Fed factory 3.5 Ts 1 3/8oz

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

I prefer Winchester 3" #2 shot and Rem Nitro 3" BB over a decoy spread. If for some reason I am pass shooting which is not to often I use T-shot.

going to give the winchester xtended range hi-density line of shells a try this coming weekend, 3.5" 1 5/8 oz Bs. i think im going to need the knockdown power due to the fact that im taking two guys new to goose hunting out this coming weekend and have the feeling that i may need to load up to bust their cripples if need be.

Get'em in close and shoot in the head with 3" 3's winchester experts 1550fps.Don't have worry about pellets in the head and neck haven't got around to eating that much of a goose.Also easy to figure out lead,put it on the beek and squeeze the trigger.

I simply use 3 1/2" BBB. Can't even remember what oz. they are. Tried BB, tried 2's, but BBB seemed to work best for me. It's what I'm comfortable and confident with.

3.5" BB or BBB kent fasteel Although i might try some 3.5" 2's for my first round this year, last year i was duck hunting and a goose flew over 30 yards and droped him like a ton of bricks with 2 shot always thought it was too small but you learn something every day.