Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
muskieswen

bugs

10 posts in this topic

Anybody know the name of those bugs in the frazer bay area. They look like a mosquito with out the needle. I call them a midge but am curious if I am right.

Saw them last weekend and I would be curious to know as well. They were all over the place.

PSU,

You would not happen to have a cabin on breezy point would you?

No, we are on an island in between Frazer Bay and Birch Narrows.

I know a lot of people up there call them "lake flies" so I dont know if that is their actual name or what. It sucks when you have light colored carpet in your boat when you step on them cuz everthing turns green!!!

I know what you mean about the carpet. They also look like they s**t green also. My seats, dashboard,locator, everything is green. Luckly it comes off pretty easy. Last year we did not see as many as this year. Hopefully this quantity is not the norm. I did notice that amongst the big ones were a ton of little guys. I am asuming there the babies. Anyway keep your mouth closed as not to eat em and they should be gone soon if not already.

Yes they are messy and don't taste too good either but remember they are a major link in the aquatic food chain. If we didn't have them we'd be fishing elsewhere. I usually see a major hatch in late June to mid July every year but with the early warm water they been hatching all summer. I think they can have up to 6 hatches a year when the water is warm. Lots of food for all them fish fry, not to metion the birds and bats. They should be gone soon. I saw a few in Big Bay last night but not bad.

grin.gif

Them Midge's get in me teeth, up me nose an in my eyes.

Not to tasty whole as JR mentioned.

But in a handfull mashed into a fine paste in pasta they aint to bad? shocked.gif

Midgydip!

Bat in the head while driving home at night can blacken an eye or swell a cheek.

I chosse to wear my chainsaw safty glasss so as I don't loose me one of the the three eyes me gots.

Off to the state fair, back up in a few days.

Hasta

T.

A mallard in the head after dark is not much fun either along with hitten them deadheads. Sometimes I wear my helmet with full face shield. grin.gif Anyone ever run into a bat, the kind that fly around the lake, at night?