Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nellie30

Smallies @ Chester Woods

5 posts in this topic

Hi all. I am new to the forum & honestly realtively new to fishing. Anybody have any tactics/hot spots to find smallies @ chester woods. Have been having good luck w/ plastics (texas rig). Any thought/locations or tips appreciated!

Nellie, you have come to the right place to get just the answers your looking for. Welcome to FM-HSO!

I believe Chester has so much structure it's almost impossible to not catch fish out there. This spring was actually my first open water trip out there. Ice fished it before but never open water.

The bass should be hitting surface plugs now. Baby Torpedo, floating Raps, and Jitterbugs.

A couple other things about Chester, they have a minimum size on the bass and the bluegills are managed also. In my opinion Chester has the best gill fishing around. I caught my personal best out there in June. 10 1/8"

Nellie great to have you. you will learn so much from here it is unbelieveable. Anyway aobut your question. I don't beleive actually that there are smallies out there. Now maybe you know something i don't but i have spent 300+ hours of fishing out there in 3 year and have yet to boat a smallie. But here is what i will tell you for the largies. Fish where people don't fish for them. This means right by the Public access and as far from it as possible. Also if you are willing to fish some of the deeper structure you will also benefit as to most fellas are bank beaters. i have had really good luck with buzzbaits and frogs this time of year and even if you don't get the hook ups the blow ups are a good time. good luck and please do post results and we all like pictures. ike

Thanks for the info boys!! Ike you're right they are large mouths... told you I am still pretty green crazy.gif

Nellie,

Welcome to FM-HotSpotOutdoors.com. I think you’ll find this website to be an excellent source of information and hopefully it helps you catch more fish.

Chester Woods is a diverse body of water with tons of natural structure and deep water.

Get yourself a heavier plastic like an Exude Comida (I’ve been having great luck with the Christmas Tree color) and rig it wacky. For deeper water, I usually put a 1/32 oz bullet split shot above the 5/0 hook so it drops a bit faster.

Good luck and let us know how you did.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• BartmanMN

Posted

Where are all the Duck reports from the almighty Pelican? 

Did all this rain fill the lake back up?  I haven't driven by at all. 

I bet the crappies and gills are growing nicely.   Soon enough.

• Yep it is the 3 S's - I just don't think a lot of people are going to be grouse hunting with a shovel - but not a bad idea.

• BringAnExtension

Posted

Thank you gentlemen.  I knew I'd get a quick answer!

• NorthwoodKing

Posted

St. Croix Avid 6’6” Med - spinning $75

St. Croix Premier 6’ Med – spinning $75

St. Croix Premier 7’ Med – spinning $75

St. Croix Premier 6’ Med lite Fast – spinning $75

St. Croix Premier glass/graphite Moderate – trolling $75

Fenwick Eagle 6’6” Med Fast – spinning $75

Pflueger President Spinning reel  #6730 $60

Pflueger President Spinning reel  #6730 $60

Pflueger President Spinning reel  #6925 $70

Daiwa Sealine SG17LC3B $75

• leech~~

Posted

17 hours ago, phillyfacks said:

We've got a cabin up on Pelican and I've definitely noticed less cormorants on the lake this summer.  The state did grant the owner of Gooseberry Island a permit to kill cormorants, which was done this Spring.  I talked to a DNR officer on the lake this summer and he said they had shot almost 400 birds, I don't recall the exact numbers but it was somewhere between 350-400. 

Thanks for the Update, I think that I did see less birds out on Edwards as well later this summer. Hopefully they shoot 400 more next spring! :)

• NorthwoodKing

Posted

Abu Garcia Revo Toro 60 5.4:1 $175

Shimano Calcutta 400TE $250

Shimano Curado 300EJ $200

Shimano Tekota 500LC $150

Daiwa Lexa 300 HS-P $200

St. Croix Mojo Musky 8’ Med-Heavy Split grip $100

St.Croix Premier  8’6” Heavy $125

St.Croix Premier  8’ Heavy - glass/graphite $125

Thorne Bros. C Series Custom 8’6” Heavy $175

Fenwick Elite Tech 7”6” Heavy - jerkbait/twitchbait $125

• NorthwoodKing

Posted

2011 Alumacraft 165 CS Classic w/2011 70 h.p. Yamaha, 2011 Shorelander trailer for sale. Humminbird 859ci HD Sonar/GPS, Minnkota 55 lb. Power Drive V2, Jensen AM/FM Cassette player. Low hours, pristine condition $14,000

00q0q_lTDJEMgVXZS_600x450.jpg

00w0w_bROm6jzb6Er_600x450.jpg

00y0y_hMo6LDkWIvS_600x450.jpg

01515_kQV2JIXWJ3y_600x450.jpg

• Dinner

1 person likes this
    • 13 hours ago, Big Kype said:

Northern Minnesotans are strong supports of the SS rule. Shoot and shut up.

I thought it waqs 3 s         shoot shovel and shut up  :shhhh:

• eyeguy 54

Posted

probably eagles if fishing. I think the fultures like highways. :):) 

• BartmanMN
      Where are all the Duck reports from the almighty Pelican?  Did all this rain fill the lake back up?  I haven't driven by at all.  I bet the crappies and gills are growing nicely.   Soon enough.
    • Big Kype
      Yep it is the 3 S's - I just don't think a lot of people are going to be grouse hunting with a shovel - but not a bad idea.
    • BringAnExtension
      Thank you gentlemen.  I knew I'd get a quick answer!
    • NorthwoodKing
      St. Croix Avid 6’6” Med - spinning $75 St. Croix Premier 6’ Med – spinning $75 St. Croix Premier 7’ Med – spinning $75 St. Croix Premier 6’ Med lite Fast – spinning $75 St. Croix Premier glass/graphite Moderate – trolling $75 Fenwick Eagle 6’6” Med Fast – spinning $75   Pflueger President Spinning reel  #6730 $60 Pflueger President Spinning reel  #6730 $60 Pflueger President Spinning reel  #6925 $70 Daiwa Sealine SG17LC3B $75  
    • leech~~
      Thanks for the Update, I think that I did see less birds out on Edwards as well later this summer. Hopefully they shoot 400 more next spring!