Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Turk

A couple ways to catch them!

5 posts in this topic

In my last post I talked about this slow approach to taking the walleye in this late summer fish pattern (which is the hardest bite all season on the Croix). The slow slow approach works while the fast trolling crank bite will work as well. Today on a half day trip we caught walleyes both ways. I wanted to post this point so folks accurately keep their options open. A few tackle tips - colored hooks and Salmo Hornets.

Jim W., Did you make it out there?

Keep Catchin'

Turk

I've noticed hook color does make a difference, week ago or so I was catching most of the eyes on tube jigs tipped with a crawler, now I'm rigging with moon glow or chartreuse #6s seems the ones I've been getting prefere this color over others, like red, gold,green, black or bronze, I use a fairly long leader 6 foot 4lb line spooled 6lb I havn't had any line issues going that lite, I don't ever fish line heavier than that lindy rigging, just can't horse the fish in.

Turk how deep ya trolling if i may ask?

We didn't have one depth because the holding depth varies, the eyes are up in 17 feet of water when the bite is decent or they can slide back into the deep into 30 plus feet when they are more neutral, the location was more important. But to tighten up the depth range where most came from I'd say 22 to 30 fow.

Keep catchin'

Turk

Steep drops are the key, search the edges of drops and deep humps for the presents of bait fish, then search for fish if none are located, moved to another location eyes will be where the bait is or close by, Once located vertical jigging can produce, slowly lift and drop get the bait infront of them, boat control is important.