Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
colonel42

Shiners in the river??

22 posts in this topic

Just had to do ask and get it started. I just made my reservations for mid October. Can't wait. I have been fishing the river in the fall for about 12 years now and can't wait until I get to pound the 1/2 oz jig on the bottom. I will be taking my wife with me along with my parents. After many years of coming home with story's of the river I can't wait until they finally get to experience it first hand. Fall is almost here. Bow hunting, fishing and rifle deer season. Just got to love fall in Minnesota.

you left out my favorite hunting season. Ruffed grouse hunting in N minn in the fall cannot be beat

Never tried it up there. Have plenty near home. Might just have to toss the 870 in the truck for my time up there. Never know about Minnesota in late October. One day could be 50+ degrees and the next you could have two feet of snow. Good Idea Thanks!!!!!

Hey colonel, I ve fished the river for about nine years now been going out of frontier, my main stay technique has always been fire balls, stingers sometimes rattle collors, ultralight rods an 1lb dia. 8lb test power pro. I find structure an anchor, letting the pods move to me. It has always produced nice stringers of fish, I've had my tough time for sure, but this year is different. I know the water level is down with hardly any current, I've thought about maby pulling plugs or anchoring on structure an slip bobbering since the current is ultra slow. Things might change by the time i get there but was wondering what you might be thinking with the current conditions. Thanks, later boar

Boar, I have heard the same as you. From what I've read it sounds like a lot of people are trolling with spinners and raps. Like I said before never know until you get there. I will still bring up my jig box and hit some of my favorite spots. I'm heading up October 22nd and will see what the river gives.

Quote:

Boar, I have heard the same as you. From what I've read it sounds like a lot of people are trolling with spinners and raps. Like I said before never know until you get there. I will still bring up my jig box and hit some of my favorite spots. I'm heading up October 22nd and will see what the river gives.

maybe we will run into each other. i will be the 16 and a half foot navigator(blue) and full of kids. I will be up that weekend. It will have wisconsin tags. Wave hi if you see me

Thanks Colonel, I heading to Moris point this weekend, might get up a cuple more before Nov. Good luck. Later boar

Sachem longrifle,

I'll be waving I was just informed that my kids will be tagging along too. Mine will be the only one out there with six girls and one guy. Well maybe two guys, if I can make room for my hounddog.

Hi guys,

I am a fool and heading out this weekend- tomorrow to be exact.

It's great you post this advice. This is my 6th year out in Fall, 4 of which I have been snowed on. This should be no exception.

I usually go with the hammered gold and minnows, but I am going to give some of the other suggestions given here so I have an edge over my other 7 buddies going up (no wives & kids for this trip, it gets a little blue).

I will let you know how I do. Any last minute tips, not addressing how much booze and warm clothes I should bring up?

Thanks,

Jughead.

Here is the latest hot tip. During the Wigwam Fall Classic

nicer fish were smacking jigging spoons!!!!!!!Just like

through the ice, hang a minnow head on the treble and go

to work. Use a bigger, heavy spoon like a Glow Devil or

Buck Shot or even a Swedish Pimple..... This was working

out in the lake, spoons are hard to use in the current of

the river.

Oh yeah and dont tell anyone.

That's alright Curt, we already cashed the check. You can tell anyone you want...now. grin.gif

Great tournament again by Kevin and crew. I just can't believe, that for the first time ever, for the North Star Fall version, that mother nature didn't kick our pituty.

Very dangerous roads around Fargo this morning though, so if any of you are traveling north, either to Pine Falls, Rainy River, pheasant hunting, etc, etc, BE CAREFUL. Roll overs abound this morning in The Valley.

Oh, and by the way. If you're up at the lake and fishing slows down a bit, try a slip-bobber. It can really make a world of difference.

Yoe Tips did the Chubby Darter work out that day too?

Congrats to you and Todd BTW, crazy how 'tight' the weight spread was fo fifth thru tenth. Bet you guys sorted thru a whole lot of fish out there eh!

fiskyknut

Chubbys and Jiggin Shads did not sustain through the two days of the tourny like they did pre-fishing. I've never seen fish wack'em like that without being tipped with SOME sort of bait. Todd had'em freakin' that Thrusday.

A big THANK YOU to Mr. Beckwith for glo red Angel Eyes though. Under a bobber, in open water, they can really put on a show when the fish get negative.

All I know is that I'm glad Todd and I started pinchin' them minnows in half. That and Buckshot Rattle spoons made a $1,000 worth of difference.

~~Gwinner Out~~ smirk.gif

That's awesome... Good thinking Ripper...

I've always thought a torn fresh dead minnow is better then a live one anyday... Works in the spring too.

Hmmm, works in da winter too!

Hey WT I reckon you've been pulling those big Jakes and Grandmas these days? Hows that going this year?

fiskyknut

I never saw a thing! grin.gif

I'm letting the water cool down a bit more... This week should do the trick.

I'll be up there from the 19th - ICE.

We want some pictures when you get back!

Solo trip... so it's going to have to be BIG to have a picture this year...

Dad busted up his knee the other day, lost his balance on the dock. Major bummer.

I knew i should have cut some of my wally divers in half.

Widetrack let me know If you need a guy to help ya net and take pictures. Im really looking forward to getting up there and hit some hogs.