Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ihateriversnags

HAM radio??

8 posts in this topic

I'm looking at getting into HAM radio and am wondering if there are any other "hams" out there with good advice on how to get started. I have already purchased and began studying the "now you're talking" book put out by the ARRL. What does everyone have for equipment, all that kind of stuff. Basically I'm looking for anything HAM.

Hey Jason get ahold of Kaz. He is a hugh radio buff. All types but especially HAM. He posts alot on the Lake of The Woods Forum might see you here but it might not hurt to throw it out there in there too. He would be able to help you out.

Hey thanks Jason, I'll do that. How goes the walleye fishing out there??

Haven't gotten out as much as I would like due to work. Was in Canada a month ago though and it was great.

The "Now You're Talking" book is really really good.

If you also look at the QRZ site, they also have pre-tests you can take online - I highly recommend using this site.

As for radios, I have two radios - a Yaesu 2800, and an Icom 2720. I really like both of the radios - the Yaesu 2800 _really_ kicks out the power - I have a Hustler 5/8 wave antenna, and it's really good. For the dual band, I love the Icom 2720 with a Diamond antenna. It's not as powerful as the Yaesu, however I love the easy tuneing of it.

I do tend to use my radio in 'interesting' conditions, and the Yaesu is by far the more hardy of the two radios.

Radio City in Mounds View has a number of good radios for when you get your license.

When you do get your license, let the rest of us know! It's always great to have another HAM around.

73's.

And before I forget (again), when you do get your license, I can provide you with a number of really good repeaters in your area - I'm from not far from there, and there's quite the active HAM groups around.

wx_nut may know of better sites, but how about a message board ?

That is the only one I know of around here.

Another thing to do is check your local area for ham clubs. they can help in many ways and even offer classes from time to time! If you haven't already!

Good Luck Its a great hobby! Also the technical stuff you learn can be used your entire life!