• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Osakis tips first timer...Coming from Kansas next week

Greetings from Kansas...I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share a few fishing tips or secrets for a first timer coming to Osakis. My buddies and I are coming up next weekend to spend a little time away from the wives, and would like to catch a few fish while were there. Typically, we go to Canada for our annual trip but decided to change it up this year. Don't know much about the lake...just what we read on the internet. We looking to catch Walleye Bass & Pike..were not picky as long as were getting some action. Any advice for fishing the lake this time of year? Thanks!

If you looking for action Osakis is not the place. Bass and walleye fishing is very slow and sporadic lately. Panfishing is ok. If you looking for everything on one lake I would try miltona or ida. They are both much better fisheries. We finally got some rain and some cooler weather (out of the 90's) so the bite should be picking up around the area.

I can't give any advice specific to Osakis, I have heard that there has been an extra lot of weed growth and algae bloom because of the heat we have had, though.

Not intending to discourage the poster, I think Mamohr is pretty right with his suggestion to hit Ida and Miltona. There are walleye, panfish & bass all sitting in the weedline on Miltona. I would suggest that you keep the boats trailered up and think about a few road trips up Miltona way!

No matter what you decide to do, your on Vacation! Some guys are just happy to sit in the sun and be away from work!! Good Luck! The weather forcast looks great!!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Walleye action is a bit slow. Sunfish bite is really strong now. Size is ok with a few very nice ones mixed in. Check out 6-13 ft of water. As always the pike are active with some decent fish being caught.

Have fished Osakis a fair amount as my Dad has a home on the lake. Walleyes have been slow, but the Bluegills have been a lot of fun this year. Look for the pack of boats and keep moving until you get on fish. You know you are close if you anchor and come up with a blueish clay on it.

No bobbers, just straight over the side of the boat. Keep your angle worm (not nightcrawler) about 6 inches of the bottom and you should find them.

Thanks for the advice..we'll do our best! I hope we catch a few, either way we'll have some fun, because were on vacation!