Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
uffdapete

platform for bow mount

5 posts in this topic

A different question - I have a 1993 Lund WC-14 that has the small convex shaped (why didn't they make it flat!) cast aluminum triangle on the bow. I'm wanting to install a bow mount trolling motor and looking for good ideas for installing a solid platform just big enough for the mounting bracket.

I know MinnKota makes a bow bracket to use with a transom mount motor for a small boat but I've ruled that out for several reasons.

Here is what I would do in your situation. Find some nylon/plastic/aluminum bushings in various widths. Use these as spacers to get the motor leveled up. I like having a quick release bracket on my trolling motor but it isn't necessary.

Plywood and a 1x1 for extra strength is what I've done before. It didn't look pretty because I used a sawsall but got the job done.

I forgot how small that triangle is you might not have enough room mount the bow mount without doing a small plywood platform like pulsar mentioned.

What's the best way to fasten the platform to the bow? I was thinking drilling and tapping the gunwhale and using threaded screws but I see Lund just used what looks like a self-tapping screw to fasten the bow plate - more like a wood screw.