• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Muzzle Loader question

loosegoose

I'm looking into purchasing a muzzle loader for me and my son. Any recommendation on brands would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to stay under $300. Is 50 cal. the way to go?

45 and 50 cal both will kill an animal. 50 cal gives you more options with bullets since there are more bullets out there for it. I don't know if they will allow the link but if you look up midway usa . com and check out the muzzleloaders it gives you a lot of options. I would recomend that you do get a stainless barrel. If your looking for a good brand check them out online and then you and your son go to the store and check out what feels comfortable for you two. I would recomend TC (Thompson Center) because they have that lifetime warranty and they build a heck of a gun but look at what is out there and what you like because they are getting so close to being the same gun. But the main ones to check out are the TC Omega and the CVA Kodiak. Both are really good guns and would be hard to beat. Make sure you get a 209 primer instead of the disks. Makes it a lot easier to shoot then the disks. Then you get the choices of what kind of stock you want. The laminates are really nice looking but get slippery when they get any moisture on them. the Composites are becoming the way to go if you don't mind them. A lot of them are coming out with the camo patterns on them and the black synthetic. If you like the camo I would suggest the Omega Seclusion 3D with Stainless. Looks like one hell of a gun.

I got a pro hunter which is really nice but for someone who don't want to change the barrels it's not needed but I also got a thumbhole stock which I love but my old man hates it because I'm right handed and he's left handed. But check out the prices online and after that go in and see what you like in your hand. Every gun has a differnt feel and find out which one both of you two like. Then shop around. I was able to save 200 bucks by calling a little sports shop and having them order it in for me. Good luck

Code-man, I just picked up a pro hunter. It shots pretty good I guess but I was wondering what to expect for yardage. at present it is shooting about 5 inches high at 50 yards, is this what Im looking for to be on at 100 yards? It is my first muzzle loader so im wondering what it should be "right on" at.

Thanks

If you are 5 inches high at 50 you will be zereod on at 100 to a little high. I would worry more about windage to make sure your on that way. If your high at 50 almost on at 100 you should be able to hit a paper plate for most shots. I do need to work with mine a little bit more because I want to play with differnt loads with it and see what happens.

How do you like your pro hunter? I got a thumbhole and like it. But we'll see how much I like it come Nov 22nd-Dec 10.

If you want to stay under $300 I would go with the CVA Kodiak. The T/C is a better gun but the CVA will do just as good for less money especially if you just starting out. I bought a Kodiak last year and love it. I killed 2 deer with it last year and am looking to shoot my bear with it this year. I use Triple 7 powder and the 209 primers are nice. These ML are alot more accurate then the older style I believe. Either gun you can't go wrong with for accuracy.

I own a CVA Mag Hunter and a Traditions lighting I bought the CVA because the lightings barrel was bent and I needed a ML quick as it was 2days before season so I went to walmart and picked it (the CVA) up for $150.00 and I have shot 4 deer with since then that was 2yrs ago its a awsome gun and I would recomend it to any one on a budget. I would also like to buy TC some day but for now my CVA is all I need.

I think with what everyone is kinda getting to is there is not much of a difference between the CVA and the TC guns. But I think the biggest thing is to find something that fits comfortable and is within your price range. CVA Kodiak acouple years ago was ranked #1 Muzzleloader on the market followed by the Encore. Both guns are very nice and it's just a matter of what feels comfortable and you have confidence in. Don't wait till November to get one get one now and start getting comfortable with it and you will have great succes.

One thing I do recomend is asking to take the safety lock they have on them off and seeing how hard it is to cock it and remove the primer excetra. I know with the Omega because of the cocking mechanizim it does get difficult but there are good guns on the market and shop around.

• 2 weeks later...

what kind of accuracy do you guys expect out of your frontstuffers? i picked up the encore barrel, but havent spent much time with it, how big of a group should i be getting at 50, 100 yds?

If it's not atleast under 3" at 100 yds i would switch loads.Throw some wind in and if your off 3 1/2" there goes the deer.We lock ares in a shooting bench/vice.150 yds shoot the end of a pop can everytime.If we cant do that we find a load that will

I have an Encore in the .50 and here is how it shoots

50 yds

Scoped - Tears one large ragged hole about 1.25" group

Iron sights - tears the same large hole

100yds

scoped - 2-2.5" group

Iron sight - 3" group

I have taken deer at 175 yds and made lungs into soup with out a problem with iron sights. a 200 yd shot with a scope is easily done with pratice and a clean gun.

For loose goose,

In the $300.00 range they are all pretty much equal. I would definatly go with a .50 and shoot sabots.

In all honesty the CVA Buck Horn shoots very well for under $200.00 and NEF produces a very nice smoke pole for under $300.00.

I would look real close at the CVA optima 209. It is relitivly protected from weather, a great shooter, and under $300.00 with all the fixins.

Some things I would definatly require if I was buying:

209 ignition

magnum loads (takes 150 gr of pyro pellets)

Hold and look through the sights of each one. You are the only one who can judge feel and if you like the sights.

I use both a flint and a percussion Kentucky longrifle in 50 calliber. I shoot patched roundballs. The flint comes out if the weather is decent. If wet, the percussion. Do not believe the stories that you may read that PRBs do not kill. I have shot several deer with balls and none had to be trailed.