Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bigyooper

Fishing the river

12 posts in this topic

Just wondering if anyone has been up in Walleye alley or by the bridges latley? I was thinking about trying the river this weekend and have no idea where to dig up a couple walleyes? Anyone have an ideas?

Nick -

Call and let me know how you do this Saturday. I'm going to hit the big lake and try for a few bigger fish. But...may end up in the river before days end on Sat and Sun.

If you need my cell again...shoot me an email. Casey@50below.com

Ya get your duck/waterfowl stamps yet? I'm definately ready to start blasting at a few ducks/geese!

Let me know!

Yooper I will be out on the river Sat/Sun after 3pm. Let me know if ya want to hook up. I would go to the top and jig the current with big minows and plastics. The smallies are crazy now and a few eyes should show up around the current. Low light is best.

Also dont be afraid to troll some shadraps etc. on channel edges.

Northlander,

email me your cell and I will call you and see how your doing.

are you going to go all the way to the dam?

I am thinking about hitting the swing bridge and the oliver bridge.

You have mail. Ill be up top and by 23.

Good fishing to you all hope you find them? shocked.gif..

Well Ill give a little report on our outing yesterady. Little being the key word. grin.gif

Loonasea and myslef went up river and ran into Bigyooper. Nice to see ya again man.

Most fish caught were small. I did have 1 nice northern on and had no net so lost it at the boat. Loonasea took care of that a few minutes later when he hooked and landed it. More pike for BD110 to pickle. tongue.gif

We had decent action on small smallies, eyes and rockies. I only had 1 keeper eye at about 16" but everything was fun on the 5.5' ultralight. Leeches caught everything. Next time up ill bring some minnows and search out Crappies that should be staging around pilings soon.

Oh we did see 1 big ski surface by us, assumingly feeding on the abundance of small rockies.

A gentleman I saw did catch a very nice smallie above 23.

Great weather to be out in. I think I will hit it again today after work. Good fishin everyone. Fall is one of my favorite times of the year to fish.

Hi, Will be up in the area on Labor Day weekend. Wondering if you would be so kind as to clue me into the spots you’re talking about. Not really equipped for the big lake (downriggers) would like to get onto the smallies and eyes though. Any help would be much appreciated.

The 23 bridge is not the area a 1 st timer should try out. Its very shallow and rocky in areas and can eat up props and lower units. Heck even some guys who have fished the river a lot still find the rocks. If your in a canoe or float tube you should have a ball.

Where are you coming from? The eyes wont be keepable unless you happen to get lucky and catch some over the 15" limit. Lots of the bass are too small as well. Now if your just looking to catch and release you could have fairly consistant catches in the 23 bridge area. Get a good map of the uper St. Louis and that will really help you. I would put in at Fon Du Lac Campground and if in a boat be very very careful. Small areas up there so no need to go faster than a slow trolling speed. Keep the motor trimmed til ya get to know the shallow spots and watch your graph and how other boats travel around up there. The water levels are down quite a bit at this time of year.

After being out of town for a few days, I was able to get out with the wife yesterday afternoon. I have never seen so much vegatation as this year and am wondering if oxygen levels are becoming depleted in some of the middle stretches of the river. I predict an early weed die off, it's happening right now. We found lots of action up above, had a 4 specie day and the two of us easily landed two dozen fish. Eyes were small, none were over 14-7/8" so no fillets to bring home. But we did have a ton of smallmouth action, most in the 12"-15" range but the wife hooked up a 19" beauty that would have easily topped 5# and we picked up another about 17". All were released. This was during the middle of the day, we started at about 11:00 AM and finished about 2 PM. A week ago the northerns were smashing my surface buzz baits, had to go to Gander to replenish my supply but yesterday could get nothing to hit topwater.

Thanks for the info. Does not sound like my boat will work at all.

Hit it tonight and the bite was slow. Small eyes, rockies, smallies and 1 very large sturgion was takin by Loonasea. Im guessing about 35# OR SO. Ill try to get the pics up as soon as I get back in town. Headed up to fish with Gunflint for the day tomorrow. Maybe Ill catch that white walleye and get pics of that as well.