Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
watertower

Smallies in the Rivers

5 posts in this topic

How do the river smallies react after a cold front moves through, folllowed by a couple days fo rain?

I'm down in Iowa and it has done just that and I want to know what the best tactics may be.

Thanks for the help guys.

thanks for the article tyler...good read.

just an fyi, i did get out on a river yesterday after the cold/rain..and i did have most of my luck on plastic worms and rapalas. so, i would guess it doesnt affect it too much. but, i am no expert tongue.gif

I've found that the river fish seem to be less affected by cold fronts and pressure changes, especially compared to their lake-bound relatives. Moving water does affect light-penetration; that, combined with constant flow keeps surface water temps more consistent across the board.

While the fish may be slightly more inactive, they'll usually bite if you can find concentrations of them, especially where the slack water meets rushing water as they'll sit on the edge. Rock ledges have been good for me in the past with some cooler conditions as well.

Good luck!

Joel